11211744601 Feltring - NLA - WTH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

11211744601 Feltring - NLA - WTH

So im re-installing my transmission (doing the clutch at the moment) and it looks like I am missing a piece. It looks like a piece of carpet actually that sits behind the pilot bearing on the transmission side (which sits in an enclosed area between two other cylindrical pieces) before the flywheel gets installed.

The problem is BMW doesn't make the part anymore! Can I just cut some felt to fit and stuff it in there? I cant seem to think its a good idea to install the two cover pieces without it (metal on metal rubbing and all). What do I do here? Please check realoem to see what im talking about ( 11211744601 )

Bmw started using sealed bearings shortly after so there was no reason to still be using open bearing with the felt ring and washer. Buy a new sealed pilot bearing and throw the felt ring/bearing setup away.

Comment

Originally posted by Bmwdayz View Post
      Bmw started using sealed bearings shortly after so there was no reason to still be using open bearing with the felt ring and washer. Buy a new sealed pilot bearing and throw the felt ring/bearing setup away.
      Thanks for the quick reply, just one more question. The rest of the pieces I toss, they aren't used to correctly "space" the pilot bearing into the engine side are they?

Comment

Discard the washers. The pilot bearing is pressed into the crankshaft as far as it will go.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck C View Post
          Discard the washers. The pilot bearing is pressed into the crankshaft as far as it will go.
          Thank you!

Comment

Bringing this back from the dead since it's semi-recent...

I'm about to do a manual swap. If I have the pilot bearing from the Sachs clutch kit, will I need any of the highlighted parts? (#3 is the NLA feltring)
            current:
            89 325i

previous:
            87 325i
            86 325 stroker frankenstein

Comment

No you will not as the one that come with the kit is already sealed

Comment

Working...
              X