Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What makes the E30 318is a fun driving car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When it comes to swapping the M42 I've always thought the M44 has potential that gets overlooked. Just look at benz-tech's build: http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=359475
    My Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Wagen View Post
      When it comes to swapping the M42 I've always thought the M44 has potential that gets overlooked. Just look at benz-tech's build: http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=359475
      I suspect that the M44 gets overlooked because of the crazy transition to roller rockers, and with good reason. That's not to say that it's a bad engine, rather that high RPM performance potential seems limited with the top end, thus why the DASC was developed for the M44.

Best of breed is probably the late M42, as it has knock detection with all of the flat tappet goodness you need, and it even has a much improved timing chain setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Balleristic31 View Post
        Is that a Downing Atlanta SC, Robert? How does it run? Selling? ;)
        Yes, I scored a DASC from an early e36 m42 with hybrid V-belt/serpentine belt set-up.
        sigpic
        January 2012 COTM

Comment

Originally posted by robrez View Post
          Yes, I scored a DASC from an early e36 m42 with hybrid V-belt/serpentine belt set-up.

If i ever decide to go FI on my 318 i want to use a downing kit

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
          1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
          Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
          Mtech 2 turbo restoration
          Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Didn't realize that DASC was out when v belts were still a thing on M42s, very interesting.

Comment

Working...
            X