Blower motor noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blower motor noise

My blower just started making noise yesterday, barely any noise whatsover when on fan setting 1 or 2, but sounds like this (NOTE: not my car, but video is identical to the noise) on setting 3 and gets louder on 4. Does this warrant a complete replacement on the blower motor, or is there another fix? In addition, although if I have no noise on 1 and 2 fan settings, if I "close" the vent with the damper switch, i get the noise.
    If I had to live my life over, I'd live over a Saloon" - WC Fields

Garage
    1991 325i
    1972 R75/5 Cafe

Either something (twig, small animal) is rubbing the fan impeller or, like mine, the ring that supports/stiffens the ends of the impeller blades has broken allowing some vanes to deflect under high load and rub the housing.

Comment

Sounds like a broken fan cage to me, and while a few people have swapped them out it's probably going to require a replacement fan unit.

Comment

You'll have to Open it up and see. It sounds like one of the impeller blades has broken inside the housing.
        "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
        -Mario Andretti.

1991 E30 325ic, AW, Black Leather, Black top, Three Pedals.

Comment

blower

Looks like a new blower is needed. Very common problem with E30's.

Comment

Yup, you have broken blower fan blades. Good luck putting that FUCKIN SHACKEL on, its a bear. Be careful not to bend it if/when you use tools to remove/put it back on.

Out of all the hours of work I have done on my e30 from exhaust manifold heat shield to replacing the control arms to fixing the A/C that FUCKING SHACKEL has been, by far, the worst.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by ajp340 View Post
              Yup, you have broken blower fan blades. Good luck putting that FUCKIN SHACKEL on, its a bear. Be careful not to bend it if/when you use tools to remove/put it back on.

Out of all the hours of work I have done on my e30 from exhaust manifold heat shield to replacing the control arms to fixing the A/C that FUCKING SHACKEL has been, by far, the worst.

Good luck
              bump

Comment

Working...
              X