No announcement yet.

Timing chain slap/rattle BAMBOOZLED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I think the issue is something with the chain guides themselves. I have another m42 swapped 02 here. I put a tensioner in that and it makes zero noise right from start up. I cannot see oil pressure getting to the top of the head that quickly. Has to take a second or two....

So...the spring in the tensioner should be enough to hold the chain tight. My theory now is that maybe a rail...deflector rail (later m42 case) came loose and the chain is a little looser than it should be. So then when the engine starts I get the noise then oil pressure comes up and pushes the tensioner open more. So today the front of the engine gets to come apart. Yippee!!

Will post what we find as I hate when the issue is solved and no one posts what it was.
    www.classicdaily.net
    1970 m42 swapped 2002
    1985 LS1/T56 Swapped e28 (557e)

www.blunttech.com - For all your parts needs

Follow me on Instagram for constant build updates @classicdaily
    https://www.facebook.com/ClassicDailyLLC

Comment

Thanks, it would be good to know what the cause is.

Did you install all new guides and stuff? The long driver's side one was updated from the metal+rubber design to the plastic+rubber design, and in doing so the very top screw needed to be changed from a M6x40 to M6x45. Many people reuse the original shorter one which strips out of the head and leaves the top of that guide loose.

Other than that, I cannot think of what else would be the reason.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Yes all guides are new and yes longer bolt there. I remember putting it in and it being too short.

So we pulled it all apart, ran it with the covers off (what a mess) and no noise.... Dropped the oil pan again and there was some more bits of sealant in the pan. But much more dissolved from the marvel mystery oil. Getting more oil this morning and will start again with the cases off. Then put together and start here and there as things go on. BUT if there is no sound this morning I am guessing there was some debris in an oil passage and causing the issue..... At least that's my hope before I push it into the river.
        www.classicdaily.net
        1970 m42 swapped 2002

Comment

Can you get some photos of the timing case assembly with the covers off? I always forgot to take pictures when I did overhauls, and every now and then it would be handy to have photo references of positioning and stuff.

Comment

Well the issue was a chunk of RTV..well "the right stuff" stuck in an oil passage. After we pulled it all apart we ran it and there was no noise... drained pan again and there was some broke down (from the marvel mystery oil) bits of sealant. Put it all back together and it has been quiet sense....
            www.classicdaily.net
            1970 m42 swapped 2002

Comment

glad you got it fixed! the timing chain system can be bumfuzzling

Comment

Which oil passage did the stuff get stuck in? I'd think that the filter would have got it, unless it was jammed up somewhere in the sump/pump.

Comment

Originally posted by squidmaster View Post
                  glad you got it fixed! the timing chain system can be bumfuzzling
                  Seems like a great word to describe automotive conundrums.

I too would like to know which passage blocked the entire oil system.

Comment

I am guessing the passage to the tensioner or maybe one of the check valves.. I really have no idea. The marvel broke it down and it is all good now.

Been tuning more and upping the boost. It's a built lower compression m42 in a 2002. CP pistons, MS3 pro, GT28RS turbo, etc etc
                    www.classicdaily.net
                    1970 m42 swapped 2002

Comment

Working...
                    X