instrument cluster problems/ SI Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

instrument cluster problems/ SI Board

I know, popular topic and has been discussed in depth quite a lot, but searching didnt yield a lot of results for what im looking at. Little quick back story on my problems with the cluster. Owned my 89 e30 for 3 years now, and when i bought it the speedo worked but was off 5-10 mph. Temp Gauge worked sometimes. 1.5 years ago tach/mpg started to work intermittently and temp gauge stopped all together. Put new batteries in the board (well my buddy did) but the solder didnt want stick to well to the batteries, but we went with it. My board also has a raised section where the battery is, not sure what is up with that. Everything but the temp gauge worked again for about half a year, then tach/mpg went back to working when it wanted to. Dealt with it, its a beater car, didnt care. Last week my gas gauge went bezerk, read it could be sending unit or the SI board. Took out the SI board and 3 of the 4 joints came undone on the batteries. Also noticed that there we two little damaged spots from where i guess i used the wrong screws. Put it back together after a crappy attempt to re solder the joints, and now my speedo is pegged at the max and no gauges work.

So my questions are: is my SI board junk from the two little damaged spots or from something else? I read that the speedo was separate, so why would it quit working? If my board is still usable with the damaged spots, what is a good, better way to solder in my batteries? If the board is not usable, is there any bypass? this is a beater car with 270k on the motor and I dont want to throw money at it.

Here are some pics of the damaged areas on the board

Comment

The screw clearly cut into one of the solder paths. You can try to re-flow that path to see if it works. I recommend that you send your SI board out to Gregs///M for refurbishing.

Comment

trying to do this all myself or if I cant, then do it really cheap. from what i've seen on his website, he does an excellent job, but it costs a lot more than what i was looking to spend. Would the SI board being damaged also explain why my speedo stopped working too?

Comment

Originally posted by elmer91 View Post
          trying to do this all myself or if I cant, then do it really cheap. from what i've seen on his website, he does an excellent job, but it costs a lot more than what i was looking to spend. Would the SI board being damaged also explain why my speedo stopped working too?
          No. You need to check the cable coming out of the diff and the main cluster board for cracks. These boards are almost 30 years old.

Comment

Working...
          X