High lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High lights

Hi ,y 318 when i put high ligths it turns off the normal lower lights, can i configure so when i put high lights the normal stays on?
    can anyone help?
    thanks

A previous owner probably changed your car from sealed beams to ellipsoids, that will cause the issue you are talking about. There is a relay that you can bypass which will make your lows stay on with your highs. I don't recall which one it is, but if you do some searching there are multiple threads which should provide you with the answer.
    sigpic

Comment

Lows Plus Highs - kit available

Hey, I make a kit to do this, very cheap and does exactly what you want.

I will need the VIN so I can check your wiring diagram. There are a couple fuse box variations, I look at them to see which kit you need. I install the correct Hella fittings on it so it plugs into the bottom side of the socket your relay goes in. Takes a couple of screwdrivers and about 20 minutes. Instructions included, naturally.

Typical cost is $12. The kit reconfigures the existing low beam relay to keep the lows on, does not require cutting any wires, and is reversible if you like.

Is it true your car had sealed beams, and now has ellipsoids? This is a simple mod, get in touch and we can get you going.

Andy
      Andy says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
      Lighting Upgrades front and back for 2002, E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39, and more.
      Tail Light Improvements keep them off your tail.
      Headlight protection saves headlights from breakage.

Comment

your car is normal for US spec. To get the lows to stay on with the highs like on euro cars you have to jump one of the relays with a piece of wire and some solder. Look it up

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Originally posted by Mo Brighta View Post

I will need the VIN so I can check your wiring diagram. There are a couple fuse box variations, I look at them to see which kit you need. I install the correct Hella fittings on it so it plugs into the bottom side of the socket your relay goes in. Takes a couple of screwdrivers and about 20 minutes. Instructions included, naturally.

Typical cost is $12. The kit reconfigures the existing low beam relay to keep the lows on, does not require cutting any wires, and is reversible if you like.

Is it true your car had sealed beams, and now has ellipsoids? This is a simple mod, get in touch and we can get you going.

Andy
          Any pictures? I might be interested for my 92 vert

Comment

Originally posted by moosefist View Post
            Any pictures? I might be interested for my 92 vert
            Yes, I have plenty of pictures - in the installation instructions, showing exactly what you do to install it.

The item is a wiring harness - very small, as it goes inside the fuse box. It plugs into the upper layer (relay sockets) using a Hella specialized terminal, and connects the relay to another part within the fuse box. Hella made the power distribution center or fuse box for BMW.

Rather than show a picture of the harness by itself, I can assure you it is very cleverly designed. It is a wire (with different terminals on each end) that connects the relays in a new way to power the low beams when the headlights are on, and allows the stalk switch to turn the high beams on and off without affecting the lows. The headlights - both high and low - are still powered by the same relays, just in a new way. The relay logic is different.

If you understand how relays work, maybe you would come up with a similar modification. You have my full support.

Does this help?
            Andy says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
            Lighting Upgrades front and back for 2002, E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39, and more.
            Tail Light Improvements keep them off your tail.
            Headlight protection saves headlights from breakage.

Comment

Originally posted by Mo Brighta View Post

Andy
              pm'd you
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              '90 325i sedan daily driven
              '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

Just run a wire from #30 pin on the K3 to K4 relay. People been doing it like this for over a decade now like this with no problems.

1992 BMW 325iC
                1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Working...
                X