Shifting E30 Quickly? (updated)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shifting E30 Quickly? (updated)

Can you shift your E30 smoothly while shifting quickly? Looking for some perspective on what is normal for these cars.
    Last edited by c0rbin9; 04-02-2017, 09:02 PM.
    1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

The G240 behind your M42 will tolerate all sorts of abuse, and as long as your mechanical components are healthy you'll be fine to rip through all of the forward gears.

If you want tips on shifting I recommend Keiichi Tsuchiya's Drift Bible. While it may be an old video, the in cabin foot/hand shots interlaced with exterior shots will educate you.

Comment

If you shift so fast you feel the gears grind you are going faster than the Synchronizers can speed up/slow down the main shaft and clutch. This is a mechanical issue and there is nothing you can do but slow down the shifting. If you want to be smooth about it you need to shift just fast enough so that the engine speed is at the exact speed needed for the speed you are going in the new gear. For instance 6000 rpm in 1st gear is the same speed as 3200 rpm in 2nd gear, if you shift so fast that the engine has not had time to slow down from 6000>3200 and dump the clutch it is not going to be very smooth! The gap in RPM between gears gets closer as you get into the higher gears and it makes a smooth shift easier but that also means the amount of time between gears changes. This is something you LEARN by driving the car.

Comment

Yes you can, just takes lots of practice with your right foot

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
          Yes you can, just takes lots of practice with your right foot
          This^

Comment

How quickly do you "need" to shift? The Getrags are decent boxes with well designed synchros....
            Last edited by ForcedFirebird; 04-03-2017, 04:24 PM.
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I noticed it is considerably easier to get a smooth, quick shift in my M42 powered car near redline than say, 5500 rpms.

Thanks for replies.

Comment

Just shift flat. that's what your r3vlimiter is for. m42 needs WOT all the time.

heh
                t
                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

yes
                  Originally posted by wholepailofwater
                  Q
                  :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                    How quickly do you "need" to shift? The Getrags are decent boxes with well designed synchros....
                    Well when you have a freshly rebuilt transmission, it's also a lot easier. My 307k (with broken odo for 7 years, maybe +100k) transmission does not shift that nicely anymore.
                    AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                      Well when you have a freshly rebuilt transmission, it's also a lot easier. My 307k (with broken odo for 7 years, maybe +100k) transmission does not shift that nicely anymore.

250k before odo broke (engine same mileage) when we bought the car, then this video was taken after 4 14hr endurance races and about 12 Spec e30 sprint races. Nothing rebuilt in that car at the time...
                      john@m20guru.com
                      Links:
                      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Ugh, wish this wasn't moved. It's general E30 discussion.

Comment

Working...
                        X