E30 Vs E36 Intake Manifold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 Vs E36 Intake Manifold

Apologies ahead of time if this has been answered but I can't seem to find a definitive answer anywhere. Im looking to swap the M40 out of my E30 318i with the E36 318i M42 and I was wondering if the intake manifold from the E30 M42 is interchangeable with the E36 M42 manifold? Thank you ahead of time!

The E30 manifold should be able to bolt on as the lower intake gasket part number did not change during M42 production. Depending on which year E36 M42 you get there may be differences in sensor arrangement, and the oil pans are not the same between chassis.

Comment

So when swapping would I use the oil pan from the M42 or would I have to get one from a separate vehicle? This is my first project so forgive my ignorance!

Comment

Ideally you want an e30 DME and intake but you only need the e30 oilpan for it to work.

E36 oilpan won't work. Period.
        E36 intake is apparently tuned for better mid range whilst the e30 intake is tuned for top end.
        E36 DME will work but it makes the swap harder because wiring. Try tracking down an e30 DME to make your life easier.

I dropped in an e30 m42 into my 318i sedan in a weekend with no major hangups. Using an e36 motor could make it a lot harder.

Comment

If you have any questions as to parts just do a comparison between the E30 M42 and whatever year E36 you plan to get an engine from on a site like http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog

I did forget that the M40 oil pan that you have might work as they share the lower end (which is what makes the swap easy), however I think there is some difference in the oil pick up.

There is also the question of engine management as brought up above, but the main differences between E30/E36 versions are that the later one has knock sensors and a better timing chain setup.

Comment

This seems like it would just be easier to hold out for an E30 M42. Am I wrong in assuming this? They're impossible to find.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with using an E36 M42, but you'll have to swap some components, some of which you already have on the M40. I did neglect to mention the crank position sensor mounting may be different in E36s, so you'd have to solve that issue if you plan to use E30 management. In my opinion, the little bit of extra work you'd have to do is worth it for the updated timing chain setup in the E36 M42.

The funny thing is that E30 M42 parts are incredibly plentiful/have a low value in the US, and are one of the few E30 items that seem hard to find in Europe.

Comment

...because an M42 is a sporty engine in 1990 Europe....

I thought that the E36 intake physically hit the strut tower on the E30, but I don't recall WHY I thought that... it certainly is a big, bulky thingus.

t
                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I think it's the 318is Rally that eats M42s.

Odd that the E36 manifold wouldn't fit an E30 as it fits with room to spare in my 318ti, and in that application the engine is shoved pretty far back.

Comment

Well, I might be wrong, you know....

t
                    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                    X