seeking tires for 14" wheels, 195/65r14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

seeking tires for 14" wheels, 195/65r14

Hello- I'm a proud new owner of an 87 325i 'Vert. She's a beauty, but does need some new rubber for the BBS basketweaves...

So, the stock size tires for 14" wheels do not seem to be available at any of my local sources, and what I'm seeing online appear to be "off" brand. I found these 2 options as best deals, but before I go ahead with either, does anyone have feedback on them, or other options/suggestions. Thanks!

I'm leaning towards the ones on ebay for both price and tread pattern.

Last edited by bthorsen; 05-03-2017, 09:02 AM.

anyone...?

Comment

Neither are really good options. Federals are sketchy in the wet from what I have read. I don't trust Chinese rubber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      sigpic
      1987 325e Lachssilber w/ MarkD chip and late bumpers, Zender EVO spoiler, s3.25 LSD

Originally posted by nando
      I don't think there's really strong evidence that ZDDP harms cats.

Comment

I have the Federal's on my stock bottle caps, I think are ok. Would choose those over Chinese rubber for sure.

Comment

mine has Falken all seasons in the stock size. Got them last summer

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
            mine has Falken all seasons in the stock size. Got them last summer
            Falken Sincera SN-828?
            sigpic
            1987 325e Lachssilber w/ MarkD chip and late bumpers, Zender EVO spoiler, s3.25 LSD

Originally posted by nando
            I don't think there's really strong evidence that ZDDP harms cats.

Comment

I'm not much of a fan of buying tires, and since my wheels still need to get refinished, I'm slowly working on this, and did some further research...

While I agree that Falken is a generally more reputable brand, the reviews of their tires which are available in 195/65r14 are pretty poor: treadlife is horrible, and handling and noise are considered poor, with "do not buy" mention consistently.

The Nexen tire does have some pretty good reviews, and is priced in between the 2 Falkens, which supports the "get what you pay for" mantra... (if it was dirt cheap, then I'd be a bit skeptical. I'm thinking it's actually a decent option.

However, I'm also reading a lot of people have moved over to 185/70r14, and there are a few more options in similar price range. Anyone have direct experience with that changeover?

My priorities are durability (not blowing up on rough roads), noise, and comfort/handling. This is for a convertible so wet road performance is of little to no concern...

Comment

Originally posted by itsonlygeorge View Post
                Falken Sincera SN-828?
                That sounds about right. I don't remember. I was trying not to do research since there's basically no point with the lack of selection we have for the stock wheel.

They've worn a bit more than their tread wear figure would suggest. I have maybe 15k miles on them. If you gun it, the car loses traction in the rain pretty easily. They are quiet and soft. It's an old car so I'm not really trying to take it to the limit.

If you want a better selection, get different sized wheels.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

I've been driving on 185 65 R14s and I have no issues.
                  Estoguy
                  1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

Originally posted by estoguy View Post
                    I've been driving on 185 65 R14s and I have no issues.
                    on basketweaves, bottlecaps, or... what size wheel?

Comment

I went 195/70-14 on bottle caps for pounding out highway miles. About to do ~1800 miles at the end of the month so can provide some feedback then
                      Swanny!
                      SUCKERS.

Comment

i just put a set of toyo eclipse on my 14" bottlecaps... they stick nicely to the road...
                        next set will be on 15" rims... i think there is a lot more tire to choose from with 15's

my 2c
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        '90 325i sedan daily driven
                        '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

Originally posted by bthorsen View Post
                          on basketweaves, bottlecaps, or... what size wheel?
                          Bottlecaps. I have General Tire Evertrek RTs for summer and X-Ice xi2s for winter. Both in the 185 65 r14 size.
                          Estoguy
                          1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

Working...
                          X