New Viscous Coupling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Viscous Coupling

I'm sure this has been asked and answered many times over the years, but a quick search didn't immediately turn anything up.

Does anyone know where one could buy a new Transfer Case VC? I know you get get a whole remanufactured TC on Pelican Parts, but if I could just buy a new VC and rebuild myself I'm guess it would save a lot of money. Surely they must be available somewhere - though they probably are not cheap.

Thanks!

Bmw was only source i know of and it was a very limited supply left

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
    Angus
    88 E30M3 X2
    89 325IX
    92 R100GS/PD
    :)

Comment

ok, yeah I was wondering if the only way now is to get a remanufactured TC

Comment

You won't really save a lot of money unless everything in your TC is perfect. The chain for example is long NLA, many of the bearings are NLA, the sprockets are uber expensive and even shims for the planetary gears are NLA. Basically if you buy a VC, pull it apart and realize your chain is worn out, you can't replace it even if you were to spend the same amount as a new TC.

I had a new VC, was going to rebuild one of my spare TCs with it - but I added up the costs of the parts I needed and it just didn't make sense, especially since I was still going to have an old, half worn chain.

I expect eventually even new TC's will be NLA.. then it will be up to the community to come up with other options. :|
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Hoard them all!
          AWD > RWD

Comment

Seriously! I can't believe they just stopped making the VC's, its such an integral part of these AWD E30s. Hopefully someone will figure out how to make these things aftermarket.

Comment

It's not going to happen. Just like wishing for a LSD for the front diff won't happen. I contacted diffsonline because they do a lot of BMW diffs and they told me no or a custom one off part that is astronomically expensive.
              AWD > RWD

Comment

gawd too many acronyms in here, i mistook that you meant the fan viscous coupling...and didn't even pickup that TC is transfer case. Ignore all my jibba jabber below.

If you are hell bent on replacing it, i have to wonder how hard it would be to adapt some other cars coupling to the BMW water pump and fan. After all its just 4 small bolts on one side and one large nut on the other, not alot to actually adapt, and the temperature ranges would have to be fairly close across most motors. are e36 ones available new?
                Last edited by e30davie; 05-08-2017, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Sounds like, unless someone comes to our rescue, its going to be become more and more common to convert these to RWD. Which is sad, but if the TC gets burnt out and there's nothing to fix it with would it be worth keeping all the extra drivetrain in there? Probably just extra weight at that point.

Luckily we aren't there yet.

Comment

The VC can be rebuilt, it's been done a few times, read some of the posts in "e30Tech" IX forum(which just came back online) lots of very good info there. I have two cut apart and the seals to rebuild them eventually

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
                    Angus
                    88 E30M3 X2
                    89 325IX
                    92 R100GS/PD
                    :)

Comment

This is probably a very stupid question, but has anyone replaced their VC with a solid coupling or welded it solid so it becomes just a coupling and is engaged 100% of the time? What issues would this cause?

Comment

Originally posted by Wille30 View Post
                        This is probably a very stupid question, but has anyone replaced their VC with a solid coupling or welded it solid so it becomes just a coupling and is engaged 100% of the time? What issues would this cause?
                        I know a few, it works but i wouldnt do it on a daily.
                        E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
                        E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
                        E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

I don't really know but I assume that probably wouldn't be a good long term solution. I'm sure once all the VCs are dead and gone someone will come up with some sort of crazy solution. Probably an elaborate way to use the TC from another car.

Comment

The VCs can be rebuilt, people were already trying that 5 years ago, and it shares the same principles as old VWs which are way older.

Its not the VCs i worry about - its everything else.
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                            X