No announcement yet.

Exhaust and Radiators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worst comes to worst I can cut a bunch of holes in the shroud and turn it into a mount for the fan, we'll see how it works.

I did think about some sort of vent system for higher speeds; didn't actually know it was a thing. I guess they're spring loaded or something so that they don't open up at low speeds? Or maybe the hinge is on the rad side?

The total space between the fan and the rad is as much as the core support is thick. So 2"? 1.5? Something like that. I used home depot sticky foam weather sealer on the mating surfaces of everything to get a good seal.

Next track event is on 9/13, I'll report back on how it works by itself and how the rad sprayers end up working.

Comment

Yes, the flaps would swing towards the radiator. Pressure from the fan will keep them closed until airflow from driving is higher and opens them. You could easily add little rubber flaps like that link showed. I question how much those really do though, being so small.

Comment

So, slight update on the shroud. Took the car out for a drive for the first time since it's been installed... what a difference it made. It was around 92*, 50% humidity when I went out. Parked, there is an unbelievable amount of airflow through the radiator when the fan comes on now. No comparison from before.

Before, when my fan would kick on around 200-210* it would take in the ballpark of 5 mins to get back down to 180 (parked). I didn't clock it, but my guess is the shroud shaved that time in half.

I will say that there is a noticeable difference in airflow at speed though. Might been because the temp and humidity were so damn high, but the temps wouldn't drop below 180* during my drive. Usually, if I'm not getting on it and am at least doing 40-50 they'll drop to 160* (that's the thermostat I had laying around when I put the engine together).

Now, I wasn't getting on it like the car would see at a track, but I was leaving it in 2nd/3rd on 40-50mph roads. Never saw above 185-190 while moving.

Obviously I'll have a better answer after the track day coming up next weekend, but so far my impressions have been shroud>noshroud. Might end up cutting some flaps into the shroud for high speeds... we'll see.

Comment

In my 302 swap I did a bunch of custom mounts to push the rad far enough forward to use a taurus 2 speed fan . Was a griffin rad out of a buddys nova. Same dimentions as the e30 rad just thicker and dif style mounts. Using the e36/volvo controller it would kick on @ 187 and i nvr saw over 192. Nvr even saw the 2nd speed.

Big plus with the taurus fan (aside from tropic storm and hurricane speed) was the shroud fit the rad perfectly. Trimmed about a 1/4" off the edge to clear the inlet and she fit perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by jalopi View Post
            So, slight update on the shroud. Took the car out for a drive for the first time since it's been installed... what a difference it made. It was around 92*, 50% humidity when I went out. Parked, there is an unbelievable amount of airflow through the radiator when the fan comes on now. No comparison from before.

Before, when my fan would kick on around 200-210* it would take in the ballpark of 5 mins to get back down to 180 (parked). I didn't clock it, but my guess is the shroud shaved that time in half.

I will say that there is a noticeable difference in airflow at speed though. Might been because the temp and humidity were so damn high, but the temps wouldn't drop below 180* during my drive. Usually, if I'm not getting on it and am at least doing 40-50 they'll drop to 160* (that's the thermostat I had laying around when I put the engine together).

Now, I wasn't getting on it like the car would see at a track, but I was leaving it in 2nd/3rd on 40-50mph roads. Never saw above 185-190 while moving.

Obviously I'll have a better answer after the track day coming up next weekend, but so far my impressions have been shroud>noshroud. Might end up cutting some flaps into the shroud for high speeds... we'll see.
            You should set your fan to come on sooner. 100C is too high.

There is no question that the shroud makes a huge difference when you need the fan, though. Heck, it's kind of amazing how much difference a little judicious taping of gaps can make.
            Last edited by nrubenstein; 09-02-2014, 12:24 PM.
            2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
            2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
            1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
            1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
            - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
            1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
            1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
            Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, the thermostatic switch was a cheap piece of shit from ebay. Supposed to come on around 185 and shut off at 175. Won't switch on until 200-210 and won't shut off till 180. Whatever though... it works for now. Will probably get one of those fancier controllable switches in the future

Comment

Originally posted by jalopi View Post
                Yeah, the thermostatic switch was a cheap piece of shit from ebay. Supposed to come on around 185 and shut off at 175. Won't switch on until 200-210 and won't shut off till 180. Whatever though... it works for now. Will probably get one of those fancier controllable switches in the future
                The flex-a-lite controller is superb, fwiw.
                2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

good to know