Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to check if junkyard odometer works?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to check if junkyard odometer works?

Is there a simple way to check if the odometer gears on the cluster work without taking it all apart? There's a M42 engine/tranny in a cabrio that I want to get and the odometer indicates around 165k. That's way less miles than the tired, oil leaking M42 I currently have but I want to verify if that mileage is accurate before pulling the trigger.
    My Feedback

No, BMW ended the machanical ODO's with the e21. E30's have a "speed sensor" on the diff, that drives a motor inside the cluster. Best guess would be a VIN and a car fax to look for that. Even then, it's a crap shoot.
    Originally posted by Matt-B
    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Even if the odometer gears are good, the electronics commonly fail. We see it many times per week.
      Owner - Bavarian Restoration
      BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
      www.BavRest.com
      My Feedback Thread
      Our Facebook!
      Follow our Instagram!

Comment

You could simulate the input with a signal generator. You would need a 12v source as well.

Realistically, the chances of finding a working odometer in a junkyard is.... well, less than me turning into Idris Elba. It'd be quite a hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregs///M View Post
          Even if the odometer gears are good, the electronics commonly fail. We see it many times per week.

Diff sensor you mean? Just curious.
          Originally posted by Matt-B
          hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Pay 20 bucks for cluster and and try in your car is easiest method.
            https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

If trip odo reads all 0's, odds are it's broken.

Look at the seat / steering wheel for wear. That's good for +/- 100k lol

Do the easy first...check the plugs. If they look ok, pull the valve cover and check for pointy cam sprockets / sludge etc.

Most yards off some type of warranty.

Comment

Electronic is a toss in the dumpster. Way I look at it if it has a nice bezel than it's worth 20 bucks and the rest is scrap. I can't tell you how many cars over the decade have had scratched plastic lense.
                https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                  Diff sensor you mean? Just curious.
                  No the PCB behind the speedometer.

Originally posted by e30sh View Post
                  If trip odo reads all 0's, odds are it's broken.

Look at the seat / steering wheel for wear. That's good for +/- 100k lol

Do the easy first...check the plugs. If they look ok, pull the valve cover and check for pointy cam sprockets / sludge etc.

Most yards off some type of warranty.
                  The trip can read zero whether or not the odometer is good or bad. Someone could have just reset the trip, has nothing to do with good or bad gears.
                  Owner - Bavarian Restoration
                  BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
                  www.BavRest.com
                  My Feedback Thread
                  Our Facebook!
                  Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Originally posted by Gregs///M View Post

The trip can read zero whether or not the odometer is good or bad. Someone could have just reset the trip, has nothing to do with good or bad gears.
                    You are correct about it reading zero good or bad.

My point. What are the odds of it ready exactly 0 if it was working? I've seen a lot of e30's with broken odo gears and most have trip odo's at all 0. I assume people push the reset button after it stops thinking that will magically make it start working again.

Comment

Working...
                    X