X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All done! got it figured out.

Comment

Originally posted by gath
      I want to do a factory amp bypass on a late ‘89 with premium sound with no fader. Is thing a good diagram to use?

Did this diagram work for you? I have an early build 1990 with premium sound and no external fader.

Thanks!
      - Darrell

2001 BMW M5
      1990 BMW 325is - Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Rontgen View Post
        Did this diagram work for you? I have an early build 1990 with premium sound and no external fader.

Thanks!
        I used this and it worked out well.

Last edited by gath; 05-01-2017, 01:58 AM.

Comment

Thanks!
          - Darrell

2001 BMW M5
          1990 BMW 325is - Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
            Yeah, that works...not ideal, but it works. There are so many different setups in these cars its crazy, glad you got through it!

Luke

Luke, I have what I think is a somewhat unique issue. I purchased this 1991 318i convertible with a crappy aftermarket HU already installed (OEM speakers and trunk amp). Thankfully the original HU was in the trunk in a box. I've now reinstalled that, double checked all the wires, but am getting no sound whatsoever to the speakers. Antenna powers up, HU powers up, but no sound. It doesn't look like the previous owner did anything to the amp (original wires and connectors). Yes, there is power to the amp (12V). I think I have premium as there are tweeters in the doors. My objective is to use the original HU and speakers (go back to stock). Does it make sense to bypass the amp and use the original HU?

Other facts that may be interesting: I have all the seats removed along with various other components of the car (center console, taillights). I cannot imagine that affecting the speakers, but maybe I'm missing something.

Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks in advance!

Comment

Forgot to add:

There is no in-dash fader.

Comment

Originally posted by Rontgen View Post

Thanks!
                Edit: This worked well for me!
                Last edited by cspec; 05-01-2017, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gath View Post
                  I used this and it worked out well.

I own a 89 325is with premium sounds, amp and no external fader and was wondering if that was all you did?

I have the same set up but my sounds good at start up but 2
                  Mins in the sounds starts to fade.

I have 4 sets of speaker wires, no orange/brown wires but the positive and negative wires wrapped both for front and back speaker wires to
                  Make it easy.

Did you follow the write up?

Comment

bpiersma, sounds like you're fairly close to getting at the stereo wiring harness. If you can pull up the driver's side carpet outside edge, you can inspect for damage. You can pull the rear side panels to see the rear speaker wiring as well.

Comment

Just did this today....This thread is bad ass, once you peel back the tape and find the wires twisted together its super easy!

Comment

Just tackled this for the last two days, car is a 1990 318i convertible with premium sound.
                        I followed bypass for the amp and have all my wires in the back connected to each other:

blue/red-grey/white, blue/brown-grey/brown, yellow/red-grey/red, yellow/brown-grey/violet, blue/black-black/white, blue/brown-black/brown, yellow/black-black/red, yellow/brown-black/violet.

then at head unit i have everything like op posted except one white wire going to amp that is not there is not connected and brown/black wire which i don't know where it goes? head unit powers up radio receives a stereo signal but no sound out of any speakers. PLEASE HELP

Comment

Check the fuse to the amp, failing that check the amp.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Checking now, it's just the amp that's built into head unit. Looks like a micro 10 amp, pulling and replacing it now

Comment

There is an oem amp in the trunk.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

I removed the oem amp and did the bypass per insructed in this post.

Comment

Working...
                                X