Crank Sensor Diy Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crank Sensor Diy Question

So I am going to replace my crank sensor because my m42 gets rev limited to around 4k rpm when fully warm. In the upper rpms it will hesitate. Happens much faster when I'm running the AC. Maybe the extra load... Point is im replacing it, & It seems like routing it behind the ac bracket is going to be a pain.
    Is there another way to pass the crank sensor through this tight space ? Or does the compressor & bracket have to be removed ?

IIRC the sensor won't fit between the bracket and the block but the connector will, so just feed the cable up from the bottom.

IG @turbovarg
    '91 318is, M20 turbo
    [CoTM: 4-18]
    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
    - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
      IIRC the sensor won't fit between the bracket and the block but the connector will, so just feed the cable up from the bottom.
      Thanks a lot I will try this, although it does seem like such a tigh space that not even the connector will fit through..

Have you managed to do it this way before, with out looseining anything ?

Comment

Nope. My crank position sensor was mushroomed out and permanently installed in my M42. That's just what I remember seeing and walking out to see the M42 languishing under a tarp it looks like you should be able to get the connector through the gap at the front of the bracket. If not removing the M42 AC compressor and its bracket is not too bad, minor inconvenience.

IG @turbovarg
        '91 318is, M20 turbo
        [CoTM: 4-18]
        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
        - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
          Nope. My crank position sensor was mushroomed out and permanently installed in my M42. That's just what I remember seeing and walking out to see the M42 languishing under a tarp it looks like you should be able to get the connector through the gap at the front of the bracket. If not removing the M42 AC compressor and its bracket is not too bad, minor inconvenience.
          Ill give it a shot, hopefully I'm not wasting my time trying to pass it through that tiny gap. Reason I don't want to pull the compressor is because I just filled it with R134A and don't want to potentially damage the lines attached.. The rev limiting only happens after hours of driving. 90% of the time i get to redline no problem.. How is you crank sensor permanently installed ?

Comment

Working...
          X