April War Drums?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

April War Drums?

I'm not old enough to know, but I wonder if we will look back on this weekend like some look at the Bay of Pigs leading to the missile crisis.

Is this all just another geopolitical burp, or have the drums again begun to sound the second weekend in April?
    Last edited by Farbin Kaiber; 04-09-2017, 06:02 PM.

Hard to say right now... but I think you could be right about the drums. Let's see how Tillerson's Russian visit goes.

Personally, I think the US was dead wrong to mount to attack. No proof it was the Syrian gov't, not to mention that the UN did in fact destroy their chemical weapons arsenal about 3 years ago.

Funny how two weeks ago the US was saying "we are no longer seeking regime change in Syria". The war hawks lost their shit over that one, and then this chemical attack happens? Why would Assad do it and take the huge risk of international backlash? Makes no sense.
    Estoguy
    1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

Originally posted by estoguy View Post
      Hard to say right now... but I think you could be right about the drums. Let's see how Tillerson's Russian visit goes.

Personally, I think the US was dead wrong to mount to attack. No proof it was the Syrian gov't, not to mention that the UN did in fact destroy their chemical weapons arsenal about 3 years ago.

Funny how two weeks ago the US was saying "we are no longer seeking regime change in Syria". The war hawks lost their shit over that one, and then this chemical attack happens? Why would Assad do it and take the huge risk of international backlash? Makes no sense.
      I largely agree with you. The whole thing doesn't make sense. But as many have posted, Trump was painted into a corner. He doesn't want to be the singular force behind removing Assad, a chemical attack did take place (no idea from who), the international community blamed Assad, and then everyone looked at Trump and said "what you gonna do?"

He had two options: Either lay low and look weak, or send a message that he has a spine. Of those two choices, the latter is the one I would support. Hopefully only assets and no civilians were destroyed by our attack.

As far as drums beating for war: I hope not. But I don't think that is where this is headed. This appears to be an international test of the Trump Administration. Hopefully that's where this stops.
      Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
      Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
      Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Working...
      X