To swap or to fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To swap or to fix?

My m42 burns coolant, it has lifter or valve tick, and recently the clutch went on it. It was strong af, aside from the noises it was dead reliable. Its not worth it to change the clutch and possibly a head gasket right? I should just 24v swap it. No? The dual mass flywheel alone is as much as an engine. Im sure the chain guides need service as the car has 350k kms on it .

Forgot to mention. Can anyone confirm if an m20 clutchdisk will work with a m42 PP flywheel and everything? Like if i were to get an m20 clutch disc from a friend to replace my m42 one would it work?

Comment

You'll spend a lot to fix what you have-
      a swap will cost more, but if you want more, now is your chance.

I find the M42 to be fun for what it is, and in a ti, it's a hoot.
      I wouldn't race it. But an M30 is also a lot of fun, in that 'fast freight train' sort of way...

No idea on the clutch. At 350k, your flywheel is used up, and if it's slipped much, it's also burned up.

fwiw,
      t
      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by Touge318is View Post
        Forgot to mention. Can anyone confirm if an m20 clutchdisk will work with a m42 PP flywheel and everything? Like if i were to get an m20 clutch disc from a friend to replace my m42 one would it work?
        I think the m42 and m20 have different diameter fly/clutch setups. you can make the whole m20 setup work but that requires machining the flywheel.

I would swap. an m52 setup won't weigh much more and from what ive heard doesn't upset the balance of the car as much as you may think. Also won't cost a whole lot more compared to the time and cost of getting a tired m42 back to full health.

Comment

I would not base your decision on price, as both are going to cost you alot. fitting a second hand known good condition M42 with some maintenance items done on it may be a better option.

Just remember if you swap in a later model motor, its possible that motor will have problems too. (admittedly less likely, but you are dealing with second hand parts so its always possible)

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, tbh, i wouldnt mind getting rid of the m42 its an amazing little thing with a chip and intake. There is someone locally who is selling a full m30 swap for 1500obo. I just need a rad and E-fan, but i dont like how close the m30 sits to the rad.

Tbh ive slipped the fk out of the clutch after it was burned trying to test things and moving it and what not, so your right its probably toast.

Umm can anyone confirm if an entire 325e clutch setup will work? Flywheel PP and clutch? I wouldnt mind throwing in whatever so i can atleast drive the car for the summer as i dont think i can get this swap together until atleast a few months.

How much is alot to you guys? I think i can get this swap done for sub 1200. I may be underestimating. All labour done myself except for an exhaust system

Comment

m42 is 215mm clutch. m20 and m50 etc. 228mm. wont work

m20 flywheel will bolt up. you need matching starter

keep the m42. worked its as fast as a m20b25 and gets better mpgs

Comment

no, it's not as fast, please stop perpetuating this idea

Comment

Working...
                X