3K idle? Tried everything.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3K idle? Tried everything.

So after about 20-30 min. of driving my car goes to 3k idle and stays there. I feel like i tried everything but thought i would ask to see if i'm missing something. Here is what has been swapped.

-Idle control Valve
    -Air flow meter
    -Checked everywhere for a vacuum leak
    -New fuel pump / rubber lines / injectors / plugs&wires&distributor
    -Cleaned throttle body
    -crankshaft position sensor

Is there something obvious i'm missing?

Thanks
    Charlotte, NC
    84' 325e
    89' 325i

take a look at your throttle position sensor.

Its attached to the bottom of the throttle body. When you find it, look up the "continuity test."
    Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

thanks! I am going to try this next. The car is with my mechanic now and he's about to start digging in to it. Trying to get everything dialed in before we tear it apart for a turbo build.
      Charlotte, NC
      84' 325e
      89' 325i

Comment

Is the throttle cable sticking?

Comment

Originally posted by dnguyen1963 View Post
          Is the throttle cable sticking?
          Thats the first thing i checked when i pulled over on the side of the road when it first happened. Doesn't appear to be the issue after further inspection. The weird thing is that when this happens it also seems to lose power when you try and accelerate, even though it's already idling high. It completely cut off on me the other day, luckily as i pulled into a parking lot. If i wait a few min, then crank it will turn over and get me a few minutes of trying to get home before it happens again.
          Charlotte, NC
          84' 325e
          89' 325i

Comment

You might have fuel starvation issue. Tee in a fuel gauge and see what the fuel pressure is doing when you lose power.

Comment

Originally posted by dnguyen1963 View Post
              You might have fuel starvation issue. Tee in a fuel gauge and see what the fuel pressure is doing when you lose power.
              The issue has been found! Went by the shop today and my mechanic installed new spark plugs ( installed some bosch plugs 2 weeks ago and the car wasn't happy) and while i was there he swapped out the coolant temp sensor as well. Fired it up and almost immediately it jumped to 3K rpm. While it was running he started reaching around grabbing hoses and looking for vacuum leaks when he touched the fuel injector harness connection and the idle dropped.

He let go and the idle went back up, then move it around again and it dropped. This went on for a few minutes until we saw a definitive connection between the issue and the harness connection. So at least we know where the issue is and now it's time to swap the harness and hope it's on the motor side and not a bad wire on the ECU side.

My guess is that when we disconnected it a few weeks ago, it got messed up when we put it back together. The issue started the day after we did that.
              Charlotte, NC
              84' 325e
              89' 325i

Comment

Working...
              X