m84 318i m10 questions, need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m84 318i m10 questions, need advice

A little about my car, it is a 1984 318i, 2 door automatic. i bought it for $200 from a guy. interior was great, engine seems fine, but the body was rusted out in a big way. i have spent the better part of 2 years working on it and am happy to say that it has just recieved its first coat of primer. i saved it from the scrap yard. now the engine. i am thinking about turbo in the future but for now will run it without. i have purchased a second m10 to build up for the turbo. so far i have purchased an msd 6a ignition, msd blaster 2 coil, bavauto 8mm spark plug wires, platinum plus 4 spark plugs, k&n cold air intake, 21/4 inch exhaust with magnaflow straight through muffler, no cat and headers, fuel pressure regulator, all in hopes of adding a little performance gain to the engine. now here is what i would like to know, when i rebuild the other engine could you tell me what parts i will need to replace/buy. i have never rebuilt an engine so i would also love to have some sort of a guidline as to the steps to doing this. i dont need the proceedures as i have a bentley manual, just what i need to do in general. what else should i purchase to add performance to the engine which is in the car right now, i am hoping some of the purchases already made will help, please let me know what you think. i am sorry for writing this novel but you guys seem to have a plethera of knowledge from what i read, and as i have fallen in love with a car i have never driven, i intend to make it the best 84 318i i can. i do not want to swap engines so please just help me out with this one. all advice / help is more then appreciated and i am greatly anticipating your response.
    sincerest regards
    Lawrence

buy a s14 crank, s14 rods, and evo 3 oil pump, custom low comp pistons, turbo header, engine management system, manual trans, 4.10 limited slip

find a turbo

build it

tune it

drive it,

and next time put ur stuff in paragraphs

oh and btw i have an 84 318i auto, its slow

edit: heres a crank for you http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=82259

Comment

You don't need an s14 crank to make huge power. What most everyone is doing in terms of huge power M10s goes something like this:

Flat top pistons (8:1)
      Equal length tubular header
      2002 - s14 crank
      stock rods are fine on a 2002 crank
      318i cylinder head
      ford EDIS
      megasquirt 1 w/ msnes or msII
      arp studs and bolts all around
      IE coated race bearings (rod and main)
      stock cam
      stainless valves
      oil cooler
      garrett t3 turbo (don't do a t4 like me)
      ie metallic head gasket

blah blah blah .. you get the picture. Bottom line is it's expensive to do it right. I'll sell you a t4 for cheap :)
      "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

Also, i think a 410 is useless on a turbo motor unless you're just interested in doind donuts. Use that torque to spin like a 352 or something...
        "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

if you dont want to break trannys, or guibos all the time you would use a 4.10

Comment

Dump the auto, swap it for a 5 speed. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by ivo316 View Post
              Dump the auto, swap it for a 5 speed. ;)
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

Working...
              X