Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice work, good luck with it!

Comment

Thanks guys! So, turns out i have to take this mechanical skills lab this semester. Its basically a metal shop with a lot of killer machines and we have to bring our own ideas and or parts for projects. The instructor said we have to put in at least 1 hour a week and he said we could put in as many as we wanted. I might make a nice tig welded manifold if we can make the head flange in house. :) im probably gonna tig all my exhaust stuff too. Ill tack it at home w/ my mig machine and bring it to school and tig it to make it look nice here haha. SCORE!
      -Chris

Comment

Originally posted by So Live View Post
        Thanks guys! So, turns out i have to take this mechanical skills lab this semester. Its basically a metal shop with a lot of killer machines and we have to bring our own ideas and or parts for projects. The instructor said we have to put in at least 1 hour a week and he said we could put in as many as we wanted. I might make a nice tig welded manifold if we can make the head flange in house. :) im probably gonna tig all my exhaust stuff too. Ill tack it at home w/ my mig machine and bring it to school and tig it to make it look nice here haha. SCORE!

Thats kickass, way to take full advantage of what your school offers. If all goes to plan you should be completing this earlier then expected?

Comment

I guess at this point, it depends on megasquirt haha. IM so tempted to just ditch this shitty second hand v2.2 board and just buy a ms1v3 kit and stop screwing around with trying to replace enough parts so it works. Oh well. Lessons learned right?

Im really thinking about building a nice tig welded manifold with my time if we can make the flange. Im thinking about going for a nice log manifold to keep cost and time spent to a minimum. Ive been playing with header design and flow for pipes to figure out how i want to go about it haha.

I have to talk to my instructor about the flange tomoro when i have nothing to do all day. Ill be doing the whole exhaust here though. Should be a good way to learn how to tig, right? hahaha oh well. Im pretty excited about this whole shop thing :)

Thanks!
          -Chris

Comment

Finally got some stuff done. Not a whole lot but still something.
            Fan mounted, IC brackets painted, IC painted and mounted.

Ebay fan mounting hardware blows. i broke two of the tabs slightly pulling on them. Decided to throw some screws through the fan duct (thankfully the fan has about 1cm of space in the duct thing) and into the mounting ears.

Fan mounted:

IC in

W/ grills and valence:

With bumper:

Stealthhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

So i sold my catback cause i need money for this project and i had a good head start on the 3 inch stuff. My manifold needs some more work unfortunately so i couldnt ount that and then just make a little turbo delete pipe. I had spare down pipe flanges laying around and some 2.5inch pipe..... :) No bends either. haha so i fabbed up some G-code downpipes from the stock manifolds so i can still drive my car haha. I actually made a pretty decent dual 2.5 to 3" collector I was proud considering the tools i have (chop saw and grinder)
            Check it out:

Thats it for today. Tomoro is welding all the seams for real cause theyre all tacked right now. I cant wait to see how loud it is!!!!
            Last edited by So Live; 03-24-2008, 02:56 PM.
            -Chris

Comment

Nice work on the intercooler placement. Did you have to cut up any sheetmetal to make it fit? Stealth FTW!
              sigpic

Comment

So far, your intercooler/fan setup is the best I have seen.

Stealth FTW!

Luke

Closing SOON!
                "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

thats a pretty slick manifold, I really like your fab work so far

635csi Euro/Alpina B7S

Comment

Thanks guys. So i just tried fitting the manifold with the new holset... not looking so good. Its a lot bigger than the t3/t4 i had and its about two inches too tall! The hood wont close.
                    Its all good though, the turbo is close to the motor too so im just gonna tip the flange so the turbo is closer to the fender and lower. My downpipe is gonna be a little more difficult but thats ok.

Pics of exhaust done will be up tonight/early tomoro morning :)
                    -Chris

Comment

Your welding looks like my welding. It's nice to know that not everyone does Jon Volk welds.

'88 325is
                      VP UT of Austin Autoholics
                      BMWCCA 380364

Comment

Hahahahaha, thanks i guess Jordan? Gas less flux core mig welding has its downfalls!

Just made a little tool and pressure checked my whole exhaust minus the g-code down pipes. Every thing looks good and holds air. I cant wait to check the intake piping.

Turns out my manifold is pretty screwed up. I decided to cut it apart. Its gonna end up being more of a log type mani than anything else now. Oh well. Once it runs Im gonna make a better jig and make a manifold in my shop class.
                        -Chris

Comment

Doin work....

Pressure tester:

Now all the exhaust im going to use turbo does not leak!

Temporary downpipes!!!

Done for tonight:

The "shop"
                          -Chris

Comment

intercooler set-up is awesome!!!;)

Comment

Thanks dude!

Havent gotten anything done this week. I bought a new MS1v3.0 kit, o2 sensor for my aem controller and a rebuild kit for the Holset. The MS got delivered yesterday supposedly so im patiently waiting for the main mail room to open tomoro so i can get some of that done.

Im planning on getting MS built and ready to install this weekend when i go home. im gonna finish the manifold and hopefully get the down pipe assembled.

Im picking up some chrome window trim so thats gonna waste a little time too. oh well.
                              -Chris

Comment

Looks good man. I feel your pain with the gassless mig, it's functional, but it's hard to make anything pretty. Great project!
                                Matt

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X