making an open diff lsd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

making an open diff lsd

this is sort of a DIY little project. i have found a 2.93 lsd for about 50 dollars and i have decided to see if i can put the lsd piece with the gears of a 3.73 open diff, making it lsd.

sory for the crappy pictures in advance.
    i bought a 3.73 open from e30-RTN and lets see when it gets here.

it works good. i made my spare 3.73 lsd into a 4.10lsd using the gears from my open 4.10

Comment

NOT GOING TO WORK

s2.79 and s2.93 internals are different from all other medium case diffs. Gear and pinion aren't going to fit in.

Comment

I heard once that 3.46 is the cutoff, I think 3.46 is the same as 3.73 and 4.10 and all higher ratios (lower #'s) such as 3.25 and 2.93 are the same

Comment

Originally posted by Aptyp View Post
          NOT GOING TO WORK

s2.79 and s2.93 internals are different from all other medium case diffs. Gear and pinion aren't going to fit in.
          oh ok
          and you know this from personal experience.

Comment

Why would you want an open diff? I had that in my 240sx and it sucked. Way better with an LSD. You know that open diff equals loss of traction and turning countrol due to all power applied to one only one rear wheel while LSD transfers power to both rear wheels.

Comment

He's talking about putting LSD parts into open diff and swapping gearing.

Originally posted by Faviolosky View Post
              oh ok
              and you know this from personal experience.
              Yes...

Comment

i guess i hallucinated putting the innards from a 3.25lsd into my 2.93 case... ill go tell my diff it doesnt exist.

edit- favio you have an eta motor, why dont you just keep the 2.93lsd whole and put it in? the 3.73 is gonna be less than optimal in my opinion.

Comment

http://kormanautoworks.com/e30drive.htm

Not saying you didn't, but after being there for a few years, believe me, I've matched nearly everything that could possibly match. You'd need to machine and add a spacer to make it work along with longer bolts.

Unless there's some 3.25 out there that made for the same carrier as 2.93. What did yours come out of?

Comment

Originally posted by lennon View Post
                    i guess i hallucinated putting the innards from a 3.25lsd into my 2.93 case... ill go tell my diff it doesnt exist.

edit- favio you have an eta motor, why dont you just keep the 2.93lsd whole and put it in? the 3.73 is gonna be less than optimal in my opinion.
                    i was thinking about it, but it'd be much nicer for drifting to have a 3.73 as oposed to a 3.25 or 2.93 for that matter.
                    also i installed the new clutch and this shit chirps in third gear(of course only one tire LOL) but its doing the 0-60 in 8.2 secs and for a eta thats pretty good.

BTW e30-RTN what i got was a 2.93 open diff not the 3.73 i ordered.

also this would be all im changing

Comment

just weld it
                      E30 325I > SOLD
                      E30 318IS > SOLD
                      E39 530I > SOLD
                      EP3 > SOLD
                      95 M3 > SOLD
                      97 M3 > DD

Comment

then there is no purpose to this thread, i did think of welding it, but its also my DD.

Comment

Working...
                        X