South Park creators warned over Muhammad depiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South Park creators warned over Muhammad depiction

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

A subsequent episode of the cartoon bleeped out references to Muhammad

Islamists have warned the creators of TV show South Park they could face violent retribution for depicting the Prophet Muhammad in a bear suit.
    A posting on the website of the US-based group, Revolution Muslim, told Matt Stone and Trey Parker they would "probably wind up like Theo Van Gogh".
    The Dutch film-maker was shot and stabbed to death in 2004 by an Islamist angered by his film about Muslim women.
    A subsequent episode of the cartoon bleeped out references to Muhammad.
    Drug-snorting Buddha
    The posting gave details about a home Stone and Parker reportedly co-own.
    It also listed the addresses of their production office in California and the New York office of South Park's broadcaster, Comedy Central.
    "We have to warn Matt and Trey that what they are doing is stupid and they will probably wind up like Theo Van Gogh for airing this show," warned the posting, written in the name of Abu Talhah Al-Amrikee.
    "This is not a threat, but a warning of the reality of what will likely happen to them," it added.
    Mr al-Amrikee later told the Associated Press the posting was not an incitement to violence. It had been published to raise awareness of the issue and to see that it did not happen again, he added.
    This is not a threat, but a warning of the reality of what will likely happen to them

Abu Talhah Al-Amrikee

A Comedy Central spokesman said the network had no comment.
    In the 200th episode of South Park, broadcast in the US and UK last week, Muhammad appeared several times inside a bear suit. Figures from other religions were also depicted, including a drug-snorting Buddha.
    Wednesday's 201st episode saw any spoken references to Muhammad bleeped out, while a prominent banner stating "censored" was used in the programme.
    Speaking in an interview with the Boing Boing website before the 200th show aired, the South Park team defended the scenes.
    "We'd be so hypocritical against our own message, our own thoughts, if we said, 'okay, well let's not make fun of them because they won't hurt us,'" said Parker.
    "It matters to me when we talk about Muhammad that I can say we did this... and I can stand behind that," Stone added.
    "I don't think it's going to change the world, but this is how it's got to be for our show."
    In 2006, Comedy Central banned Stone and Parker from showing an image of Muhammad in an episode that was intended to be part of a comment on the controversy caused by the publication of caricatures of the prophet by a Danish newspaper.
    An earlier episode, Super-Best Friends (2001), contained an image of Muhammad but passed without comment.
    "It was before the Danish cartoon controversy, so it somehow is fine," Stone told Boing Boing.
    "Then, after that, now that's the new normal. We lost. Something that was okay is now not okay."
    Muslims consider any physical representation of their prophet to be blasphemous. The caricatures published in Denmark sparked mass protests worldwide.
    Originally posted by LJ851
    I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

how is it that a religion of peace will kill when people make fun of it?
    sigpic
    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
    1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

I should probably d/l this episode, I hear it's hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
        I should probably d/l this episode, I hear it's hilarious.

There's a stream of it.
        WTB late model, anywhere on the east coast will go as far west as Texas for the right car at the right price. 5 speed 6cyl only.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid." - Han Solo

Comment

i haz it. and it was fucking hilarious, DIE GINGERS DIE DAMN YOU. DAMN YOU ALL YOU FUDGEPACKERS.

lol.

I need to attain Muhammad status so no one on r3v can make fun of me..
          1991 325iC - Mauritsblau sumthin metallic blue. DEAD
          1992 525i - Silber sumthin sumthin metallic- Rolling again, needs suspension/wheels/brakes/paint.... Fuck you A4S310R; BEAT YOU.
          1989 325i - Cirrusblau Metallic sumthin sumthin-project - trying to clean up the interior(done), then the body, then a 5spd, then suspension, then..... - [Stolen :| ]
          1991 325iC - Calypsorot Metallic
          1994 540i - Granitsilber

Originally posted by scabzzzz
          I've had blunts cock in my mouth, but I'm not gay.

Comment

I knew something like this had to happen when they eve bleeped out Muhammad's name the whole time.

SC*AR (Schwarz Army)
            No longer stock ride height, rolling as low as a daily driver in New England should without worrying about breaking an oil pan. :up:

Comment

In for the retarded comments from stupid people...

I saw both episodes, they were both funny.

PM me for detailing services in the Longmont / Boulder Area in Colorado!
              Originally posted by DTM190
              "fuck the kangaroo dude, his toilet water swirls the wrong way anyway, plus i never liked crocodile dundee or Steve Irwin and vegemite tastes like shit"

Comment

Damn stream doesn't work out of the US.
                https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

im generally a pretty peaceful person. i also generally stay out of politics, and even more so for religion because i have no use for the latter.

but..

this whole "dont insult muhammad or i kill you" bullshit really gets me irate. if i were these stone and parker i would create even more episodes that make fun of muhammad. goddamn assholes dont realize that freedom of speech actually means something outside their desert fucking hell hole. it means they cannot go around killing people that say things they dont like. the whole muslim extremist issue is a huge part of why i went to OCS and considered/considering joining the Marines. the world needs to be protected from dipshits like these.

god it makes me so pissed off.
                  AWD > RWD

Comment

I thought both episodes were boring as shit. The show as a whole is hardly funny anymore, they just make fun of whatever current event is taking place. The Facebook one was good, tho.

Comment

Damn looks like i'm behind a bunch of episodes.
                      E30 Dinan Turbo

Comment

saw both of them. the 2ed one was funny, but it pissed me off that they beeped so much of it.

It pisses me off that Comedy Central, caved in to threats er........................shit I mean warnings from ass hole hiding in Yemen and being a key board commando. This is just what the fuckers want, us to bend to their will outta fear and intimidation.

FUCK ISLAM Religion of peace my ass
                        Originally posted by Fusion
                        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                        William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by Janderson View Post
                          I thought both episodes were boring as shit. The show as a whole is hardly funny anymore, they just make fun of whatever current event is taking place. The Facebook one was good, tho.
                          The show has been focused on political/social commentary for well over 10 years. If you're pining for material other than that you can always watch the first 3 seasons, which aren't really any good compared to what has been produced since.

Comment

Originally posted by Janderson View Post
                            Righto, the new southpark is trash compared to their older stuff. Not even to say as far back as chef being a part of the cast. Just the last two seasons really haven't done it for me like it use to.

"Its preparations are concealed, not published. Its mistakes are buried not headlined. Its dissenters are silenced, not praised. No expenditure is questioned, no rumor is printed, no secret is revealed."

John F. Kennedy

Comment

Just goes to show that a terrorist is someone without humor.
                              i'lldoitforacaravan

Comment

Working...
                              X