My project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My project

There's no "projects" sub forum, so I'm nto sure where to put this. Move it somewhere if necessary. I've copy and pasted these first few posts.

Well, my car has been out of comission for a while, but I am just starting to get serious about getting it done. I'd like it to be done within 6 weeks, and that means much body work, prime the whole car and then paint. Also I am upgrading small body pieces such as door trim, plate filler, euro bumper trim, shaved hood roundel and windshield washers etc. e36 m3 heated sport seats shal be in there as well. I want to get the car painted before winter so I can put it away and get a different powerplant in there (more to come on that later).

On to the pics... no big progress has been made, but in the next three days many things should get done.

Here is where I'm at as of now:

I've detextured the front and rear valences as well as the rocker panels:

Here's the state of the front end. There was a small dent on the corner there on the fender, the gray is primer put on after the filler. You then wet sand and it shows potential high and low spots. This is especially important on a black car.

Holes wire wheeled down and ready to be welded. I'll be sanding down the entire hood to rid it of red paint. Then I'll shoot it with primer.

You can see here where there was a small crease. It was tapped out and a thin layer of filler was added. Still needs the edge fixed, that'll be taken care of tomorrow.

Here is the sound deadening I've done on the passenger side. It's a bit sloppy, but I drove it with this in and it made a huge diffference. This stuff is much cheaper than dynamant, but it is not as good, and cannot be used on vertical applications (doors). But that's just what I've heard, I haven't had a problem on the firewall though. I'll have to buy some real stuff for the doors and behind rear seat. The purple wire is RCA for sub.

I've removed the carpet to make room for a pair of these: I've seen some ghetto assed installs, and I don't want to do it like that, so I'm still figuring out how I'll mount. Seat belt mounting is a concern as well.

I know my room is messy. Sorry for the shitty pictures. It's dark at 2 am, and the flash made it look like ass. Next time I'll bring out the tripod.

More updates in the next couple of days.

Here is my update for today. I didn't get very much done.

I got the rear pop-out glass removed. That was pretty simple and straightforward. I also removed the window trim. I slightly bent it on the driver's side, so I'll probably have to replace it.

I also removed the rear glass. I guess it might be a little early in the project to be taking out glass, but I needed something to do today. I'll get some plastic sheeting and tape the windows off.

I also got random things removed like mirrors, door handles, wiper arms and grilles. Random stuff like that.

I also got a stereo in my garage. Just some random extra reciever I had laying around with some Aiwa speakers and a really good KLH powered subwoofer. This makes things better while working.

I'm starting working on it at about 7 tomorrow morning and should put in a good 5 hours with my friend who is doing the body work.

Comment

I've got some before pics.

When I first bought it:

You can see two broken rocker arms here

Before new wheels and suspension. Also right after a good cut, polish and wax:

Comment

I got a couple parts in today:

Got a euro plate filler, euro bumper trim and is side skirts with all of the mounting hardware (spensive). And I got just one roundel. Won't be needing a front one. All brand new and I got a great deal from a guy named blunt.

I'm also wondering what you guys think I should do as far as color goes. I originally wanted to do diamantschwarz, but I'm unsure now. Myabe alpine? Estoril? Some kind of silver? Byzanz? Help me out here.

Comment

I also got the seats pretty much done tonight. It was dark and I had the heat going in the garage, so the door was closed and I had to use a flash on the pics. It made the seats look worse than they really are. I'll get better pics tomorrow maybe, but this is where I'm at as of now.

We have also been making progress on the body work. The two hard parts are done, and it's just a few small dings to take care of now and then a bunch of sanding and primer will be sprayed. Pictures of this would be boring, so I won't post them.

Comment

That was the last update. I went out and had rough nights friday and saturday, and when I ended up getting up in the early afternoon, I played 18 holes saturday and sunday. I also had a significant amount of homework, so nothing was done this weekend.

But progress was made yesterday and tonight. My friend Pat who is doing the difficult body work is almost completely filling all of the little dings, and I've started blocking the whole car. Block sanding everything is a BITCH. We should be ready to get primer laid late this week or on the weekend. I've still a bit of trim and the windshield out. I've also got to clear out the trunk and get it all sanded down. Engine bay will be done when I pull the engine. Power upgrade will be the next project.

Comment

Nice project, looking forward to the end result. Personally, I'd stay away from the estorils and byzanz type colors. I would spray it in the original DS color.

BTW, a project sub-forum is a great idea.
              Originally posted by Simon S
              When a dream is a dream for too long - it becomes a fantasy..

Comment

Yeah, I saw a pic of an estoril e30 a while back and it really didn't look good. I think it may have been an m3 though. Original color is Schwarz, and I wanted DS, but I've decided to go to alpine. It's actually my favorite e30 color.

Comment

Very nice....question..where did you find the seats?
                  BMWCCA #389756

Comment

I found them on the local BMWCCA chapter forum.

Comment

estorial looks incredible, just ask EURO3

looks like a great project.

Comment

Washington reppin!!!! Great work, hope to see you next season at the picnic!!!
                        -Brandon
                        sigpic

Comment

looks pretty good there. Mine would not look so good. Apples and oranges.

Thanks guys.

Comment

Cool project, keep it up. Can't wait to see it when it's all done.

Good choice on alpine. I think it's been proven before that M3's can look good in almost any color, even pink :) ahahah

Comment

You're actually making progress with your project, so...subscribed.

Estoril is so hot...
                              Reminiscing...

Comment

Working...
                              X