R&M Racing BMW M20 Adjustable Camshaft Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by guibo09 View Post
    it's not clear in the picture alone... is the tooth part remachined out of aluminium, or is it just the original steel gear that has been cut?
    None of this part is re-used. It is a fully new piece. The outer part with the teeth is steel as well as the center part that bolts to the cam. The part that connects the two steel pieces is aluminum. (that is the blue part that you see). All of this was cut out on a combination of a CNC machine and metal lathes.
    R-MRacing.com Quality Products at great prices!

E30 M20 Adjustable Cam Gear

Comment

Originally posted by r-mracing View Post
      None of this part is re-used. It is a fully new piece. The outer part with the teeth is steel as well as the center part that bolts to the cam. The part that connects the two steel pieces is aluminum. (that is the blue part that you see). All of this was cut out on a combination of a CNC machine and metal lathes.
      i see. so the claim that this pulley is lighter than the original non-adjustable is false?
      90 E30 325i

Comment

i see. so the claim that this pulley is lighter than the original non-adjustable is false?
        It is lighter! That claim is not false. I will weigh both with pictures on sunday when I can get my hands on a stock pulley thats off of a car but it is slightly lighter. Not by too much though.

Comment

Just weighed the Gear and Our Adjustable lightweight pulley ways 13.1 ounces. Again, I have to wait to get my hands on a stock gear to weigh that one as well, but any of you who have had a stock gear and off in your hand just know that it isnt 13 ounces or less. Its heavier.

Comment

i have a pulley off the car, but no accurate means of weighing it.

im gonna compare it to your pics tonight. im wondering where your pulley has less material to be lighter.
            90 E30 325i

Comment

i have a pulley off the car, but no accurate means of weighing it.

im gonna compare it to your pics tonight. im wondering where your pulley has less material to be lighter.
              After discussing this issue with paukert who started this thread, he has informed me of the following findings:

-The ACTUAL sprocket itself is the same weight as the stock sprocket. HOWEVER overall you are saving weight. This is explained below:

With the stock pulley, you need to have various spacers and whatnot on the gear for the camshaft ignition rotor to seat correctly. With the Adjustable cam pulley you can ditch all of that and bolt the adapter directly to the gear. This is where the weight savings comes into play. Again, this is not a HUGE weight savings, but its something.

Pictures:

I hope that clears up any concerns as to this pulley being lightweight or not. We will remove the words lightweight from our product description though for the future however if people ask whether it weighs less then stock the answer is YES as I have explained here.

Comment

excellent. good job at standing behind your product.
                90 E30 325i

Comment

I just milled .025" off my head for my 2.7i project a week or so ago and I'm pondering the idea of going a tad more. I may have to pick one of these up in the not to distant future. Looks real purdy tho.

BUT THIS!!!!! http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=194272

Comment

excellent. good job at standing behind your product.
                    Guibo,

After finally having both of the sprockets next to each other and weighing both, here are the weight results:
                    The stock SPROCKET weighs 18 ounces.
                    The M20 Adjustable Camshaft Gear weighs 13 Ounces.

This proves that is IS indeed lighter and was measured on a precise digital scale for accuracy.

I hope that clears up any questions people had about the weight of the gear.
                    Last edited by r-mracing; 06-19-2009, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Just a note to all, we have just updated our warranty on the gear to a 60 Day free part replacement against defects or breakage of the part.

Obviously, this warranty does not cover damage caused from outside objects or forces. It only covers the part physically breaking from normal use.

Comment

Now can you get one for the m30. :)

Comment

well

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
                          Now can you get one for the m30. :)
                          If we get more requests we can research it and possibly add it to our inventory in the future. As of right now though, we do not offer this.

Thanks for your interest.

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Racer View Post
                            Thanks for the reply. I understand what an adjustable sprocket is (I've used them before on VW motors). My question pertains specifically to the M20B25. Have you installed one on a basically stock motor and made a few pulls at +5, 0, and -5 degrees? I'm looking for a bit more low end torque, but would like to know how much top end hp is affected.
                            in my experince it improved the light throttle lowend and responsiveness when advanced but WOT gains were minimal across the band but mine was not stock cam or bottom end, it will depend on lots of variables.
                            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

BumP!!!!

Comment

i want one

Comment

Working...
                                X