CA Tuned Coilover Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CA Tuned Coilover Review

The guys over at CA Tuned sent Condor a set of the new CA Tuned coilovers to test on one of our e30s recently. We're planning on testing them on our widebody turbo car... I went ahead and took some detailed photos. They look to be very well made. CA Tuned currently sells them for $1,000.00 on their website, I believe the price goes up to $1,200 in a few days. You get adjustable camber plates for the front, 30-way adjustable shock dampening front and rear and obviously the ride height is adjustable as well. One important note is that you will need to cut your stock strut housings to weld these in before installing, so if you don't know how to weld, you will need to find a friend or a shop who does. Not a big deal for most of us DIYers.

We plan to test these out on the street and on the track... stay tuned to this thread for updates.

How do these differ from the BC/D2/K-Sport sets that are available?
    For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
    Originally posted by mbonanni
    I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Originally posted by Roysneon View Post

X2, saw these on their website and was intrigued. Also curious if 7k/8k were there only spring rate options. I believe thats like 400lbs front and 450ish rear, but Im not one for the maths.
      I love that people ask stupid questions so I dont have.

Comment

Originally posted by mccor023 View Post
        X2, saw these on their website and was intrigued. Also curious if 7k/8k were there only spring rate options. I believe thats like 400lbs front and 450ish rear, but Im not one for the maths.
        +1 for wondering about more spring rate options

'73 2002 m20 turbo [sold] '87 rat rod 325is [couch modded] '91 vert [daily] '88 325is [spec build v1] '84 325 [spec build v2] '99 323i vert [sold]

Comment

Originally posted by Roysneon View Post
          theres a good chance they dont really aside from spring rates. Im also interested but not at $1200

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
          Ig:ryno_pzk
          I like the tuna here.
          Originally posted by lambo
          Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

I'm sure you can swap out springs with standard Eibach 2.5" springs to change the rates. I don't think there will be options to change them when buying.

Comment

Originally posted by Dj Buttchug View Post
              theres a good chance they dont really aside from spring rates. Im also interested but not at $1200
              I agree, I don't see an incentive to buy these instead of BC which can be ordered with custom spring rates at the same or maybe even slightly less cost, other than just supporting CA Tuned. Not a bad thing at all, don't get me wrong but if CA Tuned took it a step further and took some of the spring rate guesswork out of the equation and have found the optimal balance specific to E30s that would be a big plus.

Sent from my SGH-T769
              Wheelwell

Shadowline Motorsport: LED & 3D Printed Accessories - 10% off for new customers!
              LED Bulb Thread
              R6 LED Review

Comment

Originally posted by djmossm42 View Post
                I agree, I don't see an incentive to buy these instead of BC which can be ordered with custom spring rates at the same or maybe even slightly less cost, other than just supporting CA Tuned. Not a bad thing at all, don't get me wrong but if CA Tuned took it a step further and took some of the spring rate guesswork out of the equation and have found the optimal balance specific to E30s that would be a big plus.

Sent from my SGH-T769
                That is exactly what weve done. The spring rate works phenomenally well. And we can get custom spring rates. We order springs a bunch at a time to save money. So a custom spring rate could be done. Would need to order same time as we place the order to save on $.
                Work We Do
                CAtuned Feedback Page|FB CAtuned Page
                http://www.catuned.com

Comment

A friend called them and told me they didn't really "sell " the coilovers. Like they were the best thing since sliced bread. They also didn't say what made them different than anything else on the market. Again this isn't me but rather a friend so don't jump down my throat. I also agree 1200 is a bit steep for coilovers that are new on the market and don't have any solid evidence of being a good product.

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosTheory View Post
                    A friend called them and told me they didn't really "sell " the coilovers. Like they were the best thing since sliced bread. They also didn't say what made them different than anything else on the market. Again this isn't me but rather a friend so don't jump down my throat. I also agree 1200 is a bit steep for coilovers that are new on the market and don't have any solid evidence of being a good product.
                    A lot of speculations ^

Were not here to compare our product with something else. Or debate what's better or worst. It is a quality product. We use them and install them. It's a ready to install product for $1,200.
                    Work We Do

Comment

Originally posted by catuned View Post
                      A lot of speculations ^

Were not here to compare our product with something else. Or debate what's better or worst. It is a quality product. We use them and install them. It's a ready to install product for $1,200.

Saving up to get a set :D
                      My Feedback Thread

Comment

Originally posted by spoolinspoon View Post
                        Saving up to get a set :D
                        Be glad to help you when your ready :)
                        Work We Do

Comment

Originally posted by catuned View Post
                          Be glad to help you when your ready :)
                          Help in price too? ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
                          My Feedback Thread

Comment

they looks the same as other coilovers on ebay.....megan,cxracing,bc....one factory,many labels..

Comment

Megan, CX, and BC are all different companies (regardless of how similar they look and BC even stated they do not manufacture Megan or Apexi coils). If CA Tuned was not confident in the quality of the coils, they wouldn't be selling them. Period.
                              -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

Working...
                              X