• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An early Delphin convertible

This is my car. It drives.

Day 1

Year 2
    Last edited by Das Delfin; 11-16-2016, 06:01 PM.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Good start, Is this your daily driver or a toy? Most of the suspension is not that bad to do. I have rebuilt 2 of these now. GL!

Comment

Woah sorry completely forgot! It's a daily driver. I drove an '89 Toyota 4x4 for years so I don't have a problem with old cars and how sometimes they bend you over. Plus an e36 just looked too new and nice.

What did you do to press out/in new bushings? I'm leaning toward oem rubber rather than poly mounts because it's a bendy convertible

Comment

So this is probably the highlight of the year and today it finally happened!

Comment

Bought a set of KYB shocks. I know everyone says bilstein or koni but i'm not exactly going for track star here, plus I got all 4 shocks for the price of one bilstein.

H&R sports are on the way, along with tie rods, oil pan gasket, new wheels & tires, power steering pump rebuild, etc

Comment

I burned all my bushings out, then pressed them in with a C-clamp and some petroleum jelly. I used all stock rubber and standard shock replacements. My build thread has some pics if you are interested. Is your rear window cracked/broken?

Comment

Nice, love the color as I have a 5/87 Delphi my self.

make sure your drains are open ...

Comment

Originally posted by rcsoundn1 View Post
                I burned all my bushings out, then pressed them in with a C-clamp and some petroleum jelly. I used all stock rubber and standard shock replacements. My build thread has some pics if you are interested. Is your rear window cracked/broken?
                I was wondering how to press them back in! I have a C-clamp and a vise and that's it! But this time around I'm only going for new shocks/springs/shock mounts and then tie rods since one is dead. Trying to keep costs down and not do everything all at once. I'll take a look at your build thread.

My window is cracked so I fixed it with clear duct tape. It's faded anyway. I'm going to try the emiata window when I get a chance. I've heard it doesn't fit perfectly but for the price I can work with a hard install. But.. half of me doesn't want to replace it because with it already cracked I can put the top down on that first day of spring when it's 39 degrees out and sunny

Comment

Nice car, been working on mine for 18 months now and it's getting close to where I want it.

Quick question being UK based, can you legally delete that awful high level brake light sticking out of the boot, sorry, trunk?

Totally ruins the lines of the car and could so easily be swapped for Euro spec. Federal Spec was not kind to so many Euro imports of the 70s/80s, bits sticking out of once sleek designs.

If you have to have a high level brake light how about fitting red leds inside the hood, although I guess that's a fail if the hood's down.

Comment

By the way that Dodge Charger in your sig is a fake, we've nicked the real General Lee and are holding it hostage. If you want it back send Twinkies and Reeses Puffs cereal now.

Comment

I would really consider doing sub-frame bushings and LCA bushings since all the other stuff you are doing has to come out to do those last two pieces. If the bushings are all original, they are likely shot. My 1 car had about 100k on it, some had been replaced, but when I got it I just did them all. My red car I skipped those and am kicking myself now. The extra cost is about $100 in parts, and free labor if you are doing the work yourself. If a mechanic is doing the work you are basically paying him to take the whole rear out twice.

As for the question about the 3rd tail light, I deleted both of mine with IS trunk lids, one to get the wing, and 2 to ditch the light. I have not had issues yet (knock on wood) but it was in 87 that it became a DOT federal regulation to have 3 tail lamps. From my experience most police officers do not know that little detail or don't care to fuss over it. In NJ they only do emissions not for inspection, all safety is left to the police, and in GA its just emissions not state inspection here.

Comment

Maybe you're right. I do my car work in the street so it's better if it doesn't go through the night, but I'll try and see if I can get through everything. I have a bunch of parts saved up over the winter waiting to go in when it's finally warm outside.

About the 3rd brake light: In the US we have a dichotomy of Federal laws and State laws, which goes back to the 1600's when each of the 13 british colonies had their own governments, and after the revolutionary war everyone decided they needed a central govt to stabilize money, trade, war efforts, etc. So while there are federal laws about cars and everything else, each state also has its own set of rules (in Louisiana they're all in french). Which means you have to look up the rules for your state when changing lights and traffic laws and pretty much everything.

In Connecticut, you are only required to have two brake lights on your car, which means it's completely legal to shave off my 3rd light. It's also legal to run selective yellow headlights in Connecticut.

Is a cop going to notice? Probably not. Technically my Hella H4 e-codes are illegal. But I like the conspicuity of the extra light. If I got rid of it, I'd wire in the slots for my reverse fogs to be brake lights. There was actually a guy on craigslist selling a MATCHING COLOR coupe/sedan trunk lid for 50 BUCKS but I missed on the deal because I didn't want to drive an hour to get it

Comment

Also, in the US, the hood is on the front of the car... oh that's a bonnet. Which sounds like a hat.

There's no real clean way of putting a 3rd brake light on the... roof... of the car

Comment

replace boot's emblem with a Z4 side marker one.

Here's zinno with Is trunk, Delphi has A VIS carbon one now, so thinking of replacing rear logo with those Z4 side marker ones

Comment

:hitler: Gah. I'm jealous of all these guys with tops that don't have holes in their plastic window. I have to take mine to an upholsterer and get a new one sewn in.
                              "Leafeon" '92 Lagunengrun 325i Vert (Daily Driver/Project)
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=366044
                              The stickers make it go faster. :nice:

Comment

Working...
                              X