Project e34 525i touring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project e34 525i touring

Recently I found one of my sneaky little sperms decided to change my life forever. Im gonna be a father.
    With that exciting new brought dispare when i realized my e21 would not be a proper family car and it was time to get something new.

At the time Sarah (my girlfriend of 7 years) was driving a 84 318i sedan and decided to blow the motor in that so after doing a m20 swap, It became my car

i wanted to get her something that was a bit safer and had more creature comforts.
    so with my e21 sold, i went on the hunt and found a 92 525i touring.
    I meet the owner at his old shop in Portland and fell in love with the car right away.
    after a test drive we went to his "storage" to get the extra wheels the car came with.
    When we got there is was a really rad shop when him and a couple other guys had rented to build classic BMW motorcycles.
    he offered me and my buddy Katfish a beer and he hung out and talked cars and bikes for about 3 hours. Great guy, turns out he had the car for many years where he took great car and drove his pregnant wife to the hospital with it and brought back his baby daughter in it.

when i got the car home i started to make a mental list of things the car needed.
    i also decided to make a actual list of thing i WANTED to do to the wagon.
    -5 speed swap, i don't need the slush-box taking a shit on the way back to the hospital
    -Remove all the SLS components, install H&R coils. SLS is to rough for a baby
    -fix the sunroof
    -bigger wheels
    -shadow-line
    -big kydney front end
    -like almost all 90s BMWs the interior was pretty bad, headliner and door cars sagging those needed addressing as well

With some extra cash after selling my e21, I started to invest in some things that car needed off the bat.
    WTB:m60b40 in PNW
    Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
    92 525it 5 speed.
    80 244gl (m60 prepping).

First old roundels wont do for my child's main source of transportation, all the other babies would make fun of him/her
    front

after

hatch

after

now that was taken care of, the inner high beams looked a bit funny...

after

and of course a good wash.

now some interior work.
    the steering wheel offered nothing in grip

good bye, hello a wheel from Austin! 540i

next the wood wast just to 1992, time to bring it to the 2015

trash

next the headliner needed some band-aid work until i redo the whole thing
    Before: choking hazard

after

i also tossed new rotors and pads all the way around.
    no pics, i wasn't in the mood
    Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
    92 525it 5 speed.
    80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

Awesome touring! Subbed!!

Comment

Thanks man, I love reading your wagon build thread so much I had to go find my self an alpine wagon haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
        92 525it 5 speed.
        80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

Project e34 525i touring

more parts for this weekend.
          Rear rotors (already replaced the rear pads and front rotors and pads, but got the wrong rotors)
          Valve cover gasket with bolt seals and spark plug tube seals
          new oil cap
          spark plugs
          oil filter housing gasket
          brake light switch (trying to fight that brake light circuit error)
          Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
          92 525it 5 speed.
          80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

Looking good man! Saw both of these cars for sale. I had a touring way back, they're solid cars. Keep the updates coming.

Comment

Originally posted by e34croak View Post
              Looking good man! Saw both of these cars for sale. I had a touring way back, they're solid cars. Keep the updates coming.
              thanks man! i really dig this car alot.

So when i bought the it came with a bunch of sets of wheels, my favorite set was 17" style 18s.
              the cars ad had a pic of them on the wagon, but when i got the car it had the 15" style 5s.
              when i went to go change them out i found that the 17"s wouldn't fit because the wheels where way to far forward.

i wasn't to upset thinking the car just needed the front end adjusted, the PO said he put all new suspension in the front.
              i took it to the alignment shop and the guy said the wheels where totally off but as for the caster issue, there wasn't any adjustment for the car, it must have something else wrong.

i taught back to when i got the car and the guy said something about putting 7 serise parts on, and with the help of the boys over on BF i found my problem

he it was

with them being longer they pushed the wheels way to far forward.

so i put the correct ones back in and got alignment done again for the second time that day.

with the car now driving straight and handling properly, i put some new directional rubber on the front wheels and away it rolls

now i need to fix that stance...
              among other things
              Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
              92 525it 5 speed.
              80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

Looking good I love the ride

Comment

You're doing it right, nice work.
                  Only thing i don't like is the plan for kidney change, but who cares

Comment

Looking good, nice detective work on those radius rods. It can be difficult figuring out what po's have done to our cars in the past.
                    sigpic

Comment

Update:
                      I fixed all the oil leaks (valve cover and oil filter housing gasket) as well as the spark plugs.
                      she is running great.
                      not to take care of the 4WD look in the front.
                      i meet a guy locally (Chris with a 535i) that hooked me up with front 45mm low tech spring for the touring. the rear has a good about of sag, so until i get around to deleting the SLS in the rear, the height is fine with me.
                      he also gave me a front plate delete

before

during

after

not slammed, but better then before. andmy lady is driving it daily so it cant be to low if i value the oil pan
                      alpine gang

I can feel the trans not wanting to shift in to the next gear randomly, so i have started to stock pile 5 speed swap.
                      more on that soon enough
                      Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
                      92 525it 5 speed.
                      80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

It's a white out!! Nice updates. 5 speed swaps on the E34 are MUCH easier than my E39 :giggle:

Comment

Originally posted by E30NJ View Post
                          It's a white out!! Nice updates. 5 speed swaps on the E34 are MUCH easier than my E39 :giggle:
                          oh i bet, i couldn't imagine what all goes in to swapping in a e39. at the junk yard this weekend I saw like 5 nice e39s, i think i need to get in to one soon haha.
                          Last edited by FireFight; 07-06-2015, 09:42 AM.
                          Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
                          92 525it 5 speed.
                          80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

Awesome! Gotta love e34 tourings.

As for the 7-series parts, a popular upgrade is to use the 750iL thrust arm bushings as they are heavier duty. Apparently your PO didn't get that memo and put on the entire 750iL thrust arm.

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                              Awesome! Gotta love e34 tourings.

As for the 7-series parts, a popular upgrade is to use the 750iL thrust arm bushings as they are heavier duty. Apparently your PO didn't get that memo and put on the entire 750iL thrust arm.
                              Yeah he missed that part haha. it wont be as sporty feeling as a e30 so my plan to keep it just a nice lowered stock, send the upgrades to my sedan
                              Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
                              92 525it 5 speed.
                              80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

Working...
                              X