Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just how workable/tune-able is the M60B40?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just how workable/tune-able is the M60B40?

Hey r3v, I just picked up a '94 540i and it's already such a sleeper, why not just keep improving it? I know there's a few SC kits out there but I have to stay CA legal with a college budget. Any small things that make a difference? Not just power but maybe sounds since in CA that equals fast? No cold air intakes, I know enough basic engineering and seen enough MCM to know they don't do anything. (2HP is not worth it). Joking aside, what should I do?
    C6Z
    S2K
    VeloN

-if its an automatic, the #1 upgrade would be the 6-speed, but that may be beyond what you are looking for.
    -chip for easy HP.
    -replace stock rear muffler for a little sound. delete it for sex noises (pretty loud, though).
    -maybe do all intake gaskets and new MAF to refresh a few lost HP.
    -lower ratio rear diff for a little more torque at the expense of highway RPMs.

not much else to do that's worth the cost.

cams are good stock.
    intake is not restrictive.
    exhaust is the worst at the manifolds but cost an 'arm and a leg' for aftermarket. rest of the system is not restrictive.
    some may say lightweight flywheel, but that isnt worth it unless you are diving in for a new clutch, and even then its borderline too expensive.

the m60 is really a brilliant motor. yes, more costly and complicated to fix than the m50 cars, but just as reliable. i've had mine for 40k miles (90-130k) and so far not a single motor issue except a leaking valley pan gasket. i'm seeing more and more examples in the 200-250k mile range for sale still running well in e32s and e34s.
    Last edited by straight6pwr; 09-09-2015, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by straight6pwr View Post
      -if its an automatic, the #1 upgrade would be the 6-speed, but that may be beyond what you are looking for.
      -chip for easy HP.
      -replace stock rear muffler for a little sound. delete it for sex noises (pretty loud, though).
      -maybe do all intake gaskets and new MAF to refresh a few lost HP.
      -lower ratio rear diff for a little more torque at the expense of highway RPMs.

not much else to do that's worth the cost.

cams are good stock.
      intake is not restrictive.
      exhaust is the worst at the manifolds but cost an 'arm and a leg' for aftermarket. rest of the system is not restrictive.
      some may say lightweight flywheel, but that isnt worth it unless you are diving in for a new clutch, and even then its borderline too expensive.

the m60 is really a brilliant motor. yes, more costly and complicated to fix than the m50 cars, but just as reliable. i've had mine for 40k miles (90-130k) and so far not a single motor issue except a leaking valley pan gasket. i'm seeing more and more examples in the 200-250k mile range for sale still running well in e32s and e34s.
      The 6 speed is on the list but I do love the ease of true 5 series smoothness with the auto at the moment. Definitely wanna do something about the muffler and make it a bit louder but not ridiculous, any recommendations for that and the chip for the time being?
      C6Z
      S2K
      VeloN

Comment

The platform is very workable, with money. Check out the Ascari A10, 625 hp in a road car built on very similar block / worked stock heads. This is a matter of tearing it all the way down, tuning intake / exhaust / custom computer / heads as one system and it's just not worth it when cams and headers alone are pushing 5k.

For nearly no money, the m60 can be bored and r3vd up with an m62 block and cam timing adjustment respectively. These and chips are the extent of what can be done to get power for a reasonable price, and only a chip is probably worth messing with on a dd. These are also invisible for normal smog, although I may chicken out on trying to BAR with a 4.4 block.

I would consider a zf 5 speed if you find one, the automatic literally weighs about 300 lbs (feels like more when i have to move mine across the yard) while the manual is 85 ish. Mix that with a lightweight flywheel, I think TTV racing has some single mass chromoly ones at a decent price that would replace the beefy stocker. These alone may do as much for overall performance as a low boost sc.

Edit: Towards the bottom a tested clutch / fly setup to work with 5 speed.
        Last edited by whitebulat22; 09-09-2015, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by whitebulat22 View Post
          The platform is very workable, with money. Check out the Ascari A10, 625 hp in a road car built on very similar block / worked stock heads. This is a matter of tearing it all the way down, tuning intake / exhaust / custom computer / heads as one system and it's just not worth it when cams and headers alone are pushing 5k.

For nearly no money, the m60 can be bored and r3vd up with an m62 block and cam timing adjustment respectively. These and chips are the extent of what can be done to get power for a reasonable price, and only a chip is probably worth messing with on a dd.

I would consider a zf 5 speed if you find one, the automatic literally weighs about 300 lbs (feels like more when i have to move mine across the yard) while the manual is 85 ish. Mix that with a lightweight flywheel, I think TTV racing has some single mass chromoly ones at a decent price that would replace the beefy stocker. These alone may do as much for overall performance as a low boost sc.
          Chip and ZF 5 speed, got it!
          C6Z
          S2K
          VeloN

Comment

Originally posted by CarsonE30 View Post
            any recommendations for that and the chip for the time being?
            i've always like magnaflow for my i6/v8 bmws. the straight-through design doesn't make any distinct sound, it just lets the car sound like itself, which for these cars is brilliant.

chip: jim comforti from turner motorsports. +19hp, +33tq, raised r3v limiter.

Comment

i've always like magnaflow for my i6/v8 bmws. the straight-through design doesn't make any distinct sound, it just lets the car sound like itself, which for these cars is brilliant.

chip: jim comforti from turner motorsports. +19hp, +33tq, raised r3v limiter.
              Have you ran the chip? How noticeable was it?
              C6Z
              S2K
              VeloN

Comment

nope. have had a JC chip on my previous cars, nothing but good to say about they performance and company.

Comment

nope. have had a JC chip on my previous cars, nothing but good to say about they performance and company.
                  So you have ran the chip?
                  C6Z
                  S2K
                  VeloN

Comment

where are good places to look for a 5-speed system?

Comment

Originally posted by mcmahonbj View Post
                      where are good places to look for a 5-speed system?
                      This forum, junk yards
                      C6Z
                      S2K
                      VeloN

Comment

I went ' NASCAR Y PIPE ' on my M60 to help the engine breath using 4" pipes flattened to an oval with a hollowed out centre muffler and a used E34 M5 rear muffler I had in sitting in the workshop.

Peak power moved from 5,800 to 6,250 rpm and kept making power to redline without drop off

You could also do this using CATS , start the system after the CATS

The video was still M60B30 , now M60B40

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

For a budget build , chip and exhaust will give the best bang for buck. After that it's diminishing returns.

If you come across a cheap M62B44 you could build an M60B44.

Converting to a manual is a big pain , better to find another 540 manual eventually , move all your good parts from the 540 auto and continue to enjoy the E34 540 . They're a very under rated car and addictive to drive.
                        Last edited by 90-E34-M5; 10-12-2015, 06:52 PM.

Comment

^third world has class
                          Hank Ahrens
                          1984 Alpine Coupe
                          1978 911sc

Comment

Originally posted by ahrensNW View Post
                            ^third world has class
                            Thanks Ahrens , you made me laugh

Another tip is to delete the viscous fan clutch.

You can use an E34 auxiliary fan in the puller position , it fits

It's worth another 1.7 RWHP on the dyno and eliminates the terrible fan noise and risk of fan clutch explosion
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X