No announcement yet.

E30 335i - The new track (drift) project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope all is well with the car and that the little issues are working themselves out as time becomes available. A couple of the guys at work asked if I knew about this "panda drifter with an eighties BMW" when I told them I had an E30. I guess they saw a video on YouTube or something. Your reputation is spreading!

Comment

That's awesome to know :)

I'm just having issues with an eBay purchase for a clutch right now. Super annoyed with that. The car's been sitting without any love since the last event mid-June.

Also trying to organize going back to school and moving out at the same time, so right now I really haven't had much time to worry about the track e30.

- Erick
      Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
      EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
      FullOpp Stickers for sale!
      NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
      Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
      ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

<3

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Erick,

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how exactly spacers affect your steering angle.

I saw a guy on BF.c talking about E46 tie rods giving him retarded amounts of angle.

as i see it. if the end of the steering rack at dead center is point A and the knuckle at the end of the wheel is point B. the distance between the two is fixed. you cannot run a longer tie rod to get more angle, that would F up your toe.

The only way i understand it being possible to get more steering angle is to have a steering rack that moves greater distance than OE, or change the geometry of where the tie rod mounts on the strut (move it closer to center)

So please explain how a spacer between the tie rod and the rack works. I don't want or need to do it on my car, it just bugs me that i don't understand it and i think about it all day long!
          My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Here's my spacer. The big knuckle you see my index finger is on is the physical stop for the steering rack. The ring you see near my middle finger is the 5mm spacer I got from Erick. it literally spaces out the physical stops by 5mm on either side giving the rack 10mm total more travel.

Comment

you know Eric, i discussed that with Erick not long ago. i'm with you on that logic, but it works. Maybe there's a simple explanation. I drew it up and everything just to make sure that gometrically i wasn't missing anything and nothing..

i should have compared our cars at our last drift event -.-
              No more e30s for me.
              88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
              88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
              91 BMW 325i [sold]
              86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
              http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
                That's awesome to know :)

I'm just having issues with an eBay purchase for a clutch right now. Super annoyed with that. The car's been sitting without any love since the last event mid-June.

Also trying to organize going back to school and moving out at the same time, so right now I really haven't had much time to worry about the track e30.

- Erick

Erick,

Who did you order your clutch from on ebay? I am about to order mine and I want to make sure I don't use the same vendor.

thanks!
                Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by ansonivan View Post
                  Well done sir, the car sounds like an extremely loud and pissed off cow. :-)

Can't wait to hear you spraying its filthy bovine internals.
                  +1

just read the whole thread. nice job on that build! glad to see it all came together in the end

*edit* needs moar drift angle heheh

98 540 MSport
                  89 325 ix

Comment

That thing sounds like such a beast.
                    1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                    You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Man that is loud. Reminds me when I had straight pipes on the E30 a while back. Keep it up man.

How do I spell stress relief?:hitler:
                      :!:Open Track Days!!!:!:

Comment

So you're saying the rack actually uses the inner tie rod end as a stop? That actually makes sense now, the spacer has a smaller O.D. than the inner tie rod end allowing the rack to move 5mm further in each direction.

Originally posted by shiboujin View Post

Here's my spacer. The big knuckle you see my index finger is on is the physical stop for the steering rack. The ring you see near my middle finger is the 5mm spacer I got from Erick. it literally spaces out the physical stops by 5mm on either side giving the rack 10mm total more travel.
                        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Durocco/148629038574264

Comment

The spacer has the same OD as the rack itself. But yes smaller OD than the tie rod knuckle.

You have the right idea.

Comment

and here i though the stop was internal to the rack.
                            No more e30s for me.
                            88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
                            88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
                            91 BMW 325i [sold]
                            86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
                            http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Working...
                            X