Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes just swap the whole motor and motor harness. definitely no point in throwing money at the great "budget stroker". the stock i motor probably out performs most peoples eta+i setups.

edit: to the person above^^^ why would he swap the i head onto his eta motor? its an 86 not a super eta. that combo would not yield good results when compared to the complete i motor he already has. thats insane

Comment

headgasket?

hey guys when swapping the "i" head on to the "e" what headgasket do i use. Is there a deference between the headgasket for the two motors? And does anyone have an "i" crank pulley for sale? Thanks

Comment

As far as I can remember, there is no difference between the e and "i" head gasket. However, since the swap will consume a majority of the remaining head gaskets, I found that purchasing an "i" gasket kit is by far the best option.

Comment

you guys just keep on swapping 885 heads onto your regular eta blocks... enjoy that awesome compression and pistons that dont match the combustion chamber... the options by price are: swap in m20b25, swap in m5x/s5x motor, build real m20 stroker. i head on eta bottom is not even in the list, see?

Comment

slaping an i head on to an e block is a cheap and fast performance gain for the eta motor. the cost of one 885 head is much cheaper than the cost of the whole motor. and to say that it doesnt perform as good as an i motor without any real world experience with this motor is just asinine. here is a link for all the eta guys contemplating the 885 head swap
            Originally posted by Ferdinand
            I carry a cheap pressure gauge in my glovebox with which to manually check my tire pressures, but I keep forgetting that in the USA glovebox space is sacred as it is reserved exclusively for the purpose of storing handguns.

DIVING BOARD DIVISION DIVISION IDIOT

Comment

Originally posted by lennon View Post
              you guys just keep on swapping 885 heads onto your regular eta blocks... enjoy that awesome compression and pistons that dont match the combustion chamber... the options by price are: swap in m20b25, swap in m5x/s5x motor, build real m20 stroker. i head on eta bottom is not even in the list, see?

you seem angry as if you wish you had done the same previous to everyone else...well fyi i am doin the I head on my I block with eta pistons rods and crank. guess what if ppl are building their motors for low compression then guess what...hint hint they are going for boost...i know i am =) so sorry to rain on your parade but yes the eta internals are a cheap way of making a stroker for boost get over it.
              "God created turbo lag to give V8's a chance" Taylor D.

Comment

No comment on that statement, but being said, I know of car with eta block and head that I put together that would run with my m50. Is it worth it? Yes, but I have since stopped playing around a built an s50.
                Old and improved:

Comment

Originally posted by EtaSport View Post
                  No comment on that statement, but being said, I know of car with eta block and head that I put together that would run with my m50. Is it worth it? Yes, but I have since stopped playing around a built an s50.
                  This thread should just end with that statement....but no one answered if there is a diagram or picture of where the extra holes need to be drilled for the oil passages to run a 7 bearing cam in an eta head.

I guess you could compare the two heads side by side, but I don't have an i and eta head lying around.

Comment

so now the budget stroker is "for boost"? it is good for that in the sense that its cheap and flows better than eta and lowers your compression. however, 90 percent of people "building" one are not boosting, they want a cheap, fast, easy way to make their eta motor better. low-compression is a side effect of that and does not matter to them because its better than their eta motor was. that doesnt make it better than an i motor, or equal to an m50.

i have an e30 with an eta motor, and i have one with an eta bottom end and 731 head running motronic 1.3. i could have more easily sourced an 885 head but why would i want low ass compression? i am now about to swap an s50 into the 731 car.

as for the 2.7 + 885 head running with an m50... if this is true why doesnt everyone (you included) run this setup instead of an m50? do you have any dynos of this motor? im interested. are you saying an eta bottom end (not seta) with an 885 head and 1.3, makes more power than a stock i motor?

i really dont care what you guys do to your motors... just pointing out facts. wait for a 731 head or get seta pistons if you want a cheap N/A 2.7i that makes decent power. but you might as well be throwing money at a 24v or real m20 build instead. if you wanted an m20b25 you shouldve got one! you cant just turn your eta into one.

Comment

so now the budget stroker is "for boost"? it is good for that in the sense that its cheap and flows better than eta and lowers your compression. however, 90 percent of people "building" one are not boosting, they want a cheap, fast, easy way to make their eta motor better. low-compression is a side effect of that and does not matter to them because its better than their eta motor was. that doesnt make it better than an i motor, or equal to an m50.

i have an e30 with an eta motor, and i have one with an eta bottom end and 731 head running motronic 1.3. i could have more easily sourced an 885 head but why would i want low ass compression? i am now about to swap an s50 into the 731 car.

as for the 2.7 + 885 head running with an m50... if this is true why doesnt everyone (you included) run this setup instead of an m50? do you have any dynos of this motor? im interested. are you saying an eta bottom end (not seta) with an 885 head and 1.3, makes more power than a stock i motor?

i really dont care what you guys do to your motors... just pointing out facts. wait for a 731 head or get seta pistons if you want a cheap N/A 2.7i that makes decent power. but you might as well be throwing money at a 24v or real m20 build instead. if you wanted an m20b25 you shouldve got one! you cant just turn your eta into one.
                      the dyno numbers you are looking for are posted in the link i gave you. no the e block and 885 head combo doesnt make more power than a stock i. but you seem to be neglecting an important figure. the torque figure. i do agree that the 731 head is the ideal m20 head. but finding a head that wasnt released here is a bit hard.

in real world application the 885 head on the e block with i electronics yields you a car that is faster than a stock e30 325i. not by much but still faster. while for an i it would not be anywhere near worth it, the e is really woken up with this combo.
                      Originally posted by Ferdinand
                      I carry a cheap pressure gauge in my glovebox with which to manually check my tire pressures, but I keep forgetting that in the USA glovebox space is sacred as it is reserved exclusively for the purpose of storing handguns.

DIVING BOARD DIVISION DIVISION IDIOT

Comment

well from what i can see dyno numbers vary. the second guy to post one got pretty good results (150hp 150trq i think), maybe the power was helped by his head being shaved so much. the OP of that thread is making 10 less whp and trq, and basically rebuilt the bottom end and is running megasquirt. should be able to get more power from that but maybe it wasnt tuned well. he said he spent 500 on the bottom rebuild. you can get a 24v for less than that, not to mention the cost of MS.

like anything, i guess the power output will vary depending on the condition of parts involved and how good of a chip/how well its tuned. you are very right about it being a good way to get more rpms out of the eta. however, i have an i head and enough parts to make the whole swap happen to my non-731 eta, and i never have. must be some reason why...

Comment

I say if you're gonna go through the trouble get some superETA pistons.
                          Someone here made 155whp on a superETA/i combo with an ebay chip. Thats a HUGE difference over a stock eta that makes what, 100ish whp?

Rebuilding an m20 is a waste of time/money IMO, you can do a 24v swap for less, not to mention even if you're m20 is broken down and needs a rebuild you could replace it with another used one for a few hundred dollars.

Comment

ok jack pie so maybe everyone out there dosent have hook ups for a cheap turbo set up to stay under your...$500 m50 swap price tag, which is way unpractical but, if thats what you say. im going to turbo my car with the m20 in it...and i know the 2.7 stroker is stupid if your car is a i already but my crank was fucked from lack of oil(via lack of drain plug from a dumb bezzy) and i had a connection to a cheap eta lower end so thats why i did it vs leaving the i an i...no one really cares if you have a eta because all your doing is bashing on them for wanting more on a budget anyways if we could all do 24v swaps im sure we would but we dont all have $500 24v swaps...which reminds me how good can a $500 dollar 24v really be? no rebuild just throw it in right??? or its pre-rebuilt right thats what the crazy bastard told you as you picked it up?
                            "God created turbo lag to give V8's a chance" Taylor D.

Comment

The whole point that should have been made regarding this thread is the fact of swapping over to motronic 1.1/1.3. I personally do not believe in the 885 head on eta block. I will only put a 731 or a worked 200 casting on an eta bottom end. I built 2 200 heads for my motor, one with a mild port job, 274 cam and dual springs. The other a substantial port job, 283 cam and dual springs. I went back to the I cam beacuse the valves are too small to have any benefit from the larger cams.

The I cam however suited the motor very well, I kept 9.0:1 compression, 6500 rpm rev limit and lost no low end power.

The only important hole to remember drilling on the 200 head is the one in center where the oil feed hole is cut into the head. The I cam only has one oil tranfer port cut into it. If you look at the I cam as compared to the e you will see what I'm talking about and it should make better sense.
                              Old and improved:

Comment

Okay so Im starting to get a fricken headache reading all these different posts about what is right and worth anything as compared to anything in relation to whatevers, whatever!
                                Someone help me out a bit please; I have an 86 eta m20 sitting on my floor cuz I busted a hose and burned it up. Its not siezed but I did have oil running out of it above the headers and all over the enigne bay. Mind you before we swapped it out for my '90 m20b25, we fired it up after putting more oil back in it and it still ran like a champ! just had that over heating issue and it didnt appear to be leaking any oil. what ever.
                                So right now I have an 86 eta body with a 90 i engine, 173 ecu, i still need the 1.3motronic for it. The harness is all patched up and on the car with no problems. I did run into a oil cooler issue (I bought the wrong one) that I still need to rectify but that is neither here nor there.

I was thinking about parting out the old eta engine and using it as a donor for 3.0 stoker. But what other parts am I going to need? I was also looking at a schrick 284 cam as a thought. I mean if I'm gonna do it, might as well do it right.
                                No I will not be FI - all motor.
                                No I will not be doing a m5x or 24v swap, its not what I want, and thats all that matters at this point. I want to keep the "true" m20 and just make it as "nice" as I can. I'm not looking for wild, but I want something more then mild.

Any thoughts? TIA!!!

----------------------------------------------------------
                                DAMN IM SO CONFUSED!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X