Simmons 3 piece Wheels rebuild.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simmons 3 piece Wheels rebuild.

OK decided to start a new thread since this is a project..

Bit of History:
    Since 1967, an ongoing tradition of research and racing involvement has given Simmons matchless qualifications in the design and manufacture of 3-piece modular wheels for road and race. Simmons optimise the 3-piece modular concept to ensure that every fitment is accurate, and wheel, tyre and car are ideally matched to each other.
    • Wheel centres are cast or forged in prime aluminium alloy and heat treated to full hard, T6 specification to significantly improve tensile strength and fatigue life.
    • Rim sections are manufactured from heat treated alloy 6061-T6 and are formed on a CNC spinning lathe, designed and built in our factory to achieve industry-best consistency and accuracy.
    • Finished wheels are individually tested for dimensional accuracy and trueness in running.

Wherever applicable, Simmons Wheels are machined for hub centred location to ensure that the wheel run true to the hub, avoiding potential balancing problems.
    Each Simmons Wheel is identified with its own serial number on the front face of the wheel centre. This number is recorded and enables positive identification of wheels if stolen or when needing repairs.

So that's that.

UPDATE 1:
    10-01-2008

The wheels I bought are Simmons V4's, These wheels are the 4 lug version of the more common V5. Both of which are no longer in production. The wheels are true three piece and period correct.
    They are 15x7, 4x100, with a CB of 57.1 Offset is ideal for e30 fitment.
    I found them on Australian eBay With very old but unused Michelin tires.

PRICE: $760 AU / $580 US
    Pictures from the ad:

The wheels had been garaged for around 5 years and were in average shape, and I soon found out the tires did not hold air due to their age.
    I was refunded $260 AU / $200 US
    They had been repainted (poorly) in the original gold color, and had a few chips an runs in the paint. The lips were slightly dull and needed re polishing. Two had very small bends in them, and the other two have small amounts of rash.

UPDATE 2:
    11-26-2008

I initially planned to have the centers powder coated. So I sent them to ADS Powder Coating for media blasting.
    PRICE: $130 AU / $100 US

The media blasting revealed several small scratches in the center sections, but nothing that couldn't be fixed. Inbetween most of the spokes, the metal was unsmooth and neded attention. You can also see a pronounced ridge the circles the center lug section, this had to go.
    I soon found out the negatives of powder coat. For example Farady Cages.. This is the phenomenon that powder will not stick between the narrow spokes because they repell against each other when they are charged. There are ways to overcome this, but not without risk, and I wanted to get it right the 1st time.
    I decided against Powdercoat.

UPDATE 3:
    12-03-2008

I sold my BBS style wheels for $500 AU / $385 US to help fund this project. And I was back rocking the Black Bottle caps.

I measure the wheels up and decided I wanted 15x7f and 15x8r. So I was now on the hunt for some 4" wide rear outer rims.

I also decided on the colour. I originally wanted Nogaro centers, but as soon as I sat the wheels next to the car, I decided on silver. It just looks so fresh and clean ..well until the brake dust comes :-x But that's just the labor of love :)

Pics of the BBS style wheels and the bottle caps just for fun:

UPDATE 4:

12-15-2008

I got lucky on eBay and found a set of 4 x 4" deep Outer rims (3.5" to the tire bead).
    PRICE: $680 AU / $520 US
    They had no scratches of gutter rash, no bends, they just needed a re-polish. They were also the exact width that I needed ..or so i thought.

Turns out I measured the standard outer rims wrong, and the new ones were a 1/2 inch too wide. I could have done it with seriously rolled fenders and super stretched tires, but I had wanted some wider tires and didn't think the stretched look would work on my car.

I decided to keep them for a while before I decided what to do with them.
    Here are some pictures to keep you happy:

UPDATE 5:
    01-13-2009

I had the tires removed and decided I was determined to sell the 4" rims. So i did for [COLOR=Green]$600 AU / $460 US[COLOR=Black]. I'll miss them but it's for the best.
    Then I was set on 3.5" outer rims making 15x7f, and 15x8r.

Final pictures before selling the 4" outers:

I gave one of them a polish just to see how it would look and oh man am I going to miss them.. :puppy: BUT, it's what I wanted and that's what counts.
    I started with 600grit and worked up to 1200, then machine polished with drill attachments and rubbing compound. Came out OK but not perfect. Still waaay better than before as you can see.

UPDATE 6:
    01-19-2009

Got bored of my bottle cap rims, and waiting for more money for the Simmons, and decided to spice them up a bit.
    PRICE: <$15 AU

Continued \/
    Last edited by JamesE30; 05-20-2009, 12:05 AM.

R.H.D
    M-technic I club

UPDATE 7:
    04-20-2009

After countless hours of sanding, priming, filling, sanding, priming, and sanding.. I have colour on the centers. The paint is VHT Chevy Silver wheel paint, with VHT Wheel clear coat. I put plenty of blood and sweat into getting them to this stage, and that makes them just that much more special to me.
    PRICE: ~$100 AU / $80 US
    I managed to "almost" drop one of them *eek* and chip it. I had to strip it back and repaint it, but it's all good now :D

UPDATE 8:
    04-24-2009

I chose the two outer rims that I would be keeping and dropped them off at The Mag Wheel Center in Richmond to have the gutter rash removed and to be re-polished.
    PRICE: $150 AU / $115 US
    I also ordered two Brand new 3.5" deep (3" to the tire bead) outer rims from Simmons,
    PRICE: $528 AU / $405 US
    and 80 new chrome plated star bolts/nuts.
    PRICE: $256 AU / $197 US

UPDATE 9:
    05-20-2009

Big update today!! I just picked up my package from The Mag Wheel Center, and OMG I'm in love! I have to wait a bit longer for the bolts, but that's ok, I can't afford tires yet anyway
    So here are my brand new 3.5" outer rims, and repolished 2.5" outers! 8)

The repolished rims came out great! They are by no means perfect, but I like that they are original, and unless your face was 20cm away from them, you'd think they were brand new. Not bad considering they are 20 years old :P
    There are a few before/after shots down the bottom.

Before and after:

And HERE are some pics of them mocked up!!

15x7f

15x8r

UPDATE 10:
    06-12-2009

Just a little update, Threw some bolts in the wheels and mounted them on the car. I currently have almost no money, and I'm looking for a new job, so progress will be slow :(
    I know, I know, it needs a drop. It's coming I swear!! Just need time to install the new springs.

So Here it is in 4x4 mode, mainly just checking clearances.

Heaps of clearance for a BBK in the future: :D

Front strut is a little close, but some 205's should clear with out any problems:

Compared to the 14x6 Bottle caps:

***30-05-2009***

Not really an update on the project but on the 30th of June 2009 SIMMONS ceased manufacture of their range of custom 3 piece wheels. A big shame IMO.. :(
    SIMMONS V4, and V5 haven't been made in years, but my wheels are only going to become more sought after now.

UPDATE 11:
    06-20-2009

Painted the inner barrels black to ad some contrast and hide the inevitable dust I wont be able to reach!
    Also painted the bolts.

Sent the wheels of to be resealed at the mag wheel center.

UPDATE 12:
    07-01-2009

Picked them up today and wow! It's nice to see them all bolted together!
    I was also planning on buying new center caps as well, but the ones they had were the wrong size. So I ordered some that should be here in a week or two.

Lowered the car FINALLY!
    Still needs to settle a little:

*To be continued*

I'll continue to update this post. Check back for updates! Feedback welcome!

Thanks! James
    Last edited by JamesE30; 08-01-2009, 03:55 AM.

R.H.D
    M-technic I club

Comment

Thorpey says its fully sick mate

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
      RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

MAVIC DISC

Sexy wheels though. do like

Comment

Those wheels are seriously my favorite set I've ever seen. I would love so much to have a set like that.
          "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

Updated with some more whore pics

R.H.D
            M-technic I club

Comment

nice work, keep it up and youll be rewarded!!
              www.benjamineliward.com

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                MAVIC DISC

Sexy wheels though. do like
                +1!!!

Looks awesome dude!
                -Chris

Comment

Lookin good!
                  PNW E30 Crew : 1991 E30 S50, 2000 E39 M5

sigpic

Follow my S50 build
                  : MY S50 E30

Follow me on instagram : @damendesign

E30 T-Shirts | M3 T-Shirts /Prints

Comment

Nice! I like it!

Comment

any details on the bbs style wheels you took off? i really dig those...

Comment

Goddamn, talk about a labor of love. Those look absolutely stunning, and I'm happy that you resisted the huge deep dishes for something that's a bit more sane.
                        cars beep boop

Comment

Updated with more pics in UPDATE 7, and UPDATE 10 with some test fitting pics ^^:D

Originally posted by cmflossin View Post
                          any details on the bbs style wheels you took off? i really dig those...
                          They are Australian made NLA "Performance" wheels. 16x7 +20 or so. Not easy to find here, Impossible to find other side of the pond I imagine. They're just 'cheap' copy's though. They look nice but they're heavy.
                          Last edited by JamesE30; 06-11-2009, 10:59 PM.

R.H.D
                          M-technic I club

Comment

these wheels are fucking awesome!!!!! and they will go great with the car... HOWEVER those tail lights need to get the hell outta here, and you sir will have one sexy car.

Comment

Originally posted by Mfever View Post
                              these wheels are fucking awesome!!!!! and they will go great with the car... HOWEVER those tail lights need to get the hell outta here, and you sir will have one sexy car.

+ Plenty MORE!! :giggle:

R.H.D
                              M-technic I club

Comment

Working...
                              X