Steering wheel restoration?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering wheel restoration?

I have a sport evo steering wheel and it is starting to come apart (hence the cover), I LOVE my wheel, and I'm curious if there is anywhere I can have it restored or even fix it myself, because I damn sure don't have a couple hundred bucks for a new one.

image by ZOMG BIMMERS, on Flickr
    sigpic1989 325i sedan
    #17 injectors. K&N CAI
    eBay cat back. Eibach pro kit
    BMP Dme chip. XXR 521 wheels

Check around at local upholstery shops. Should be able to find one that can do it.

Comment

usually, the redo never looks as good as the original. i doubt you can find that mtech ll wheel for a couple hundred bucks these days in good shape, however, i would expect you to pay a couple hundred bucks to get it redone more or less properly.
      sigpic
      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
      92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
      88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
      88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
      87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
      12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

I have one of those wheels, I asked these interior guys we use at the shop, if they could wrap it in Alcantara, just like the E46 ZHP and M3 wheels, and they said to me that the material is no longer available...
        I went home and did a search on alcantara and its for sale all over the web

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
          usually, the redo never looks as good as the original. i doubt you can find that mtech ll wheel for a couple hundred bucks these days in good shape, however, i would expect you to pay a couple hundred bucks to get it redone more or less properly.
          The only one I can find is one wrapped in alcantra for 450
          sigpic1989 325i sedan
          #17 injectors. K&N CAI

Comment

Interested in buying the wheel off you as-is. Let me know via PM if you are willing to sell

Comment

on German Ebay, there's a few companys that will rewrap YOUR wheel for 125 euros however you like. even with the M color stitching

Comment

Originally posted by mikeedler View Post
                on German Ebay, there's a few companys that will rewrap YOUR wheel for 125 euros however you like. even with the M color stitching
                I may try to find someone local to do that for me.

Originally posted by Dirtsquirt View Post
                Interested in buying the wheel off you as-is. Let me know via PM if you are willing to sell
                PM'd
                sigpic1989 325i sedan
                #17 injectors. K&N CAI

Comment

there are tons of companies that will do it in any material you want, quality of workmansship varies a lot obviously, i wouldnt go to someone unless they come recomended and youve seen their work though

my friend just spent 800 to get his boss 302 steering wheel re-wrapped, they also added padding and flattened the bottom, it looks amazing, like something you would expect to see in a lambo or bentley, but then again it should for 800 bucks
                  1987 325ic
                  2001 996tt
                  2000 996c2 vert
                  2008 b7 s4
                  2008 ml550

Comment

I'm going to be picking up an E34 wheel this weekend to rewrap. Hoping to be able to offer this service within a month.
                    - Josh
                    1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
                    Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Comment

What kind of price point? I'd love to have mine rewrapped in alcantara. Doesn't need to be super fancy with colored stitching and all that, just fairly well done and durable.
                      sigpic1989 325i sedan
                      #17 injectors. K&N CAI

Comment

Originally posted by Alpine E30 View Post
                        What kind of price point? I'd love to have mine rewrapped in alcantara. Doesn't need to be super fancy with colored stitching and all that, just fairly well done and durable.
                        I'm not sure, probably around $100-120 including one way shipping.

I'm going to the trim supply tomorrow, I was going to pick up some black microfiber suede (alacantara without the brand name). I'm going to wrap an airbag wheel as well as an E34 wheel with it. I'm sure I will start a thread.
                        - Josh
                        1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
                        Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Comment

Definitely keep me in the loop
                          sigpic1989 325i sedan
                          #17 injectors. K&N CAI

Comment

There's a company or guy who offers a rewrap kit that you or your upholstery shop can use to rewrap your wheel with the M color threading, etc. I feel that rewrapping a wheel shouldn't cost more than a brand new wheel. Unfortunately, this is what makes it not as popular as you'd think it would be. Makes sense on something ultra rare and NLA though. For example, I have a momo shift knob I'd like rewrapped. I found prices of $60-150+ online BUT I can get a new Momo shift knob for $60 shipped. You have to weigh the pros and cons.
                            "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                            88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                            91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by Cletonius View Post
                              I'm not sure, probably around $100-120 including one way shipping.

I'm going to the trim supply tomorrow, I was going to pick up some black microfiber suede (alacantara without the brand name). I'm going to wrap an airbag wheel as well as an E34 wheel with it. I'm sure I will start a thread.
                              Hey Josh, may be in need--can you do this?

Comment

Working...
                              X