Herp de derp M60 in progress - track day complete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wspellmann View Post
    I wish my f'd disc would stop bulging so I can get back to work sometime soon.

Do you have your driveshaft sorted out?
    I'm not old enough to complain about body issues yet, so lucky me i suppose.

I have a e36m3 driveshaft. I've read somewhere it works, but I know for sure e36 328i works so I'll source one of those if the m3 one doesnt fit.
    I really want to test fit the motor, but my estimation is it requires 2-3 people for first test fit and I wasn't able to wrangle help for this weekend.
    We're in deep now boys
    1988 325i SETA - Daily driver
    1988 340iL - Track car
    My M60 V8 swap thread here
    [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Been a bit since the last update.
      Big news:

Motor went in without too much issue. Someone recently had an issue where the Garagistic motor mount arms didnt sit flush on one of the bushings. I had the same issue. I put a small angled cut into the motor mount, and I still need to shim the motor up to get some better oil pan clearance, Its basically touching right now.

Clearance to firewall. I didnt modify the firewall or trans tunnel at all.

This is the path from the power steering pump to the rack:

I asked Chase Bays for a 45deg fitting on the rack side, and a 90deg fitting on the pump side. The rack and pump banjo ports are M14x1.5. I gave them 11" measurement between the port in the rack and the port on the pump. They delivered a perfect hose, screw right in. Made and delivered in 4 days!
      We're in deep now boys
      1988 340iL - Track car
      [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Originally posted by dasmanschaft012 View Post
        Been a bit since the last update.
        This is the path from the power steering pump to the rack:

I asked Chase Bays for a 45deg fitting on the rack side, and a 90deg fitting on the pump side. The rack and pump banjo ports are M14x1.5. I gave them 11" measurement between the port in the rack and the port on the pump. They delivered a perfect hose, screw right in. Made and delivered in 4 days!
        Don't mind me asking, How much were the lines? I'm thinking about putting power steering on my M60 swap.
        Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

This was a custom line, i only got the high pressure line from them, mine was $100.
          I will be going to a local hose place for the low pressure lines so i can play with the length and routing a little easier.
          We're in deep now boys
          1988 340iL - Track car
          [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Nice work!

Quick question - did you order your TTV directly from their web site or found a local dealer in US ?

Thanks!
            Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

I order directly thru them, click the "quote" button.
              Very fast shipping directly from the U.K. and a fair price.
              We're in deep now boys
              1988 340iL - Track car
              [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Thanks for confirming!

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Minor update, been lagging, working on my s13 etc.
                  Got RX7 brake caliper brackets

Started putting the wiring harness on, I'm confused where the starter wire comes out of the loom! Only 1 big ring terminal by the big grommet, and its not for the starter. Anyone have any idea?
                  This connector(and the one right behind it) are off the front driverside of the harness. Big rectangle connector has 2 blk/yel wires. The small ring terminal is a blue wire(alternator D+). 2 pin connector in the picture are brown(?) wires.

Heater hoses figured out. 2xGATES 19945, 2xGATES 19938, 2x 3/4" couplers. Each heater hose takes one of each of the hoses. Ill post a better picture once i receive the right couplers.

Both kinda on there:

Another angle (missing a coupler)
                  We're in deep now boys
                  1988 340iL - Track car
                  [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Ok, been working on little stuff, the "hard" stuff.

Finalized the heater core hoses. Had to change one.
                    from pass. side pipe to lower heater core: GATES 19945, GATES 19938, 3/4" coupler

From driver side pipe to upper heater core: 64218367791, 11531722743, , 3/8" coupler

Final:

The only problem i see is that its really hard to get a fuel line on the fuel rail.

New "treehouse" style control arm bushings from Garagistic. I already had their delrin standard bushings, but preemptively giving as much space for the downpipes as possible.

Installed the RX7 calipers BBK using brackets i bought. Note, i dremeled the diam of the HUB instead of opening up the rotor. This means i can get stock rotors from anywhere and stick them on. No more machining.

Heres how you test fit spacer size with washers when you have bolts still:

Washers were 5.11mm, it cleared by a hair. I will use a 12mm spacer and call it a day.

Managed to get fluid thru the masters, but not thru the ABS unit. Good enough now, no leaks.

Hot boi sparkles everything

Core support mounts are all done and welded. Just needs paint.

Note: the PN for the z3 S54 on realOEM leads to this part on rockauto:

This one is for an X5, dont buy it.

Reverse light wire done. Fits perfect.

Bad picture, but i chopped up an early shifter plate for a DIY body mount shifter. Now i dont even have to worry about the shift carrier, and hopefully have a e46 DSSR.
                    We're in deep now boys
                    1988 340iL - Track car
                    [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Those heater core hoses look fun!

Comment

damn dude, the early stages of your swap were almost exactly like mine (of course they were were both swapping m60's). glad you thought of doing the body mount shifter, i just thought about doing that last week, definitely would have saved me the hassle of finding a specific shifter carrier.

Comment

Originally posted by dothadance View Post
                          damn dude, the early stages of your swap were almost exactly like mine (of course they were were both swapping m60's). glad you thought of doing the body mount shifter, i just thought about doing that last week, definitely would have saved me the hassle of finding a specific shifter carrier.
                          i looked for hours for a shifter carrier, but theres just not measurements out there for other models. Spending 40-100$ for each one, buying and return it is such a pain. this was the easier solution.
                          We're in deep now boys
                          1988 340iL - Track car
                          [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Originally posted by dasmanschaft012 View Post
                            i looked for hours for a shifter carrier, but theres just not measurements out there for other models. Spending 40-100$ for each one, buying and return it is such a pain. this was the easier solution.
                            Yeah i got mone from an e36 318ti. It works but it's a little off center. Not to mention that my shifter now rubs against my driveshaft...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Comment

I feel like i haven't been super productive lately, just doing little thing after little thing.
                              Started on the wiring adapter

Got bungs welded onto the oil filter housing. The welder couldn't do what i wanted on the oil block/arm so Im still thinking about that side.

Something that i liked how it turned out.
                              Step one, cut a bolt head down

Step 2, cut the bracket off the ring that holds the power steering resevoir on. Put bolt thru the hole thats there.

Step 3, welded it on

Step 4, grind it wayyy down.

Step 5, weld a small bracket on the core support. drill a hole.

The hoses will run straight down in front of the alternator, and then over to the rack and pump.

Correct Z3m S54 rad installed. Just set the fan in there, definitely can't go any bigger. This is the highest CFM 16" Spal pusher i could find. PN 30102048.

Clearance:

Lower rad hose. Perfect fitment. e36 325i lower rad hose. PN 11531726344

Upper rad hose. Gates 20923. I trimmed the pump end about 1/2", and the rad side about 2"

Tired of worrying about shifter parts. so I bought an early model shifter plate and made a DIY body mount shifter. Welded a couple bolts on for easier assembly.
                              You need the shifter of your choice, the early model shifter plate, and PNs 23411466110, 2x 25111207744 and 23411466112.

Went on vacation:

And were all caught up. Next priority is to get the brake and clutch resevoirs mounted, so i know how long to make the wiring. Then wiring, then oil filter housing mounting.
                              Last edited by dasmanschaft012; 10-29-2017, 09:06 AM.
                              We're in deep now boys
                              1988 340iL - Track car
                              [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

What are you doing for bottom mounts on the radiator?

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                                Transaction feedback
                                - jpod999

Comment

Working...
                                X