Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

82c aux fan switch from pelican for clutch fan delete?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82c aux fan switch from pelican for clutch fan delete?

I've been looking into getting rid of the of the regular clutch fan in my car and just using the electrical fan, but was looking for a lower degree switch than 91, when I came across a switch on pelican that' supposed to be 82c.

But the part number looks weird, if you ditch the last two digits it'll come up on real oem as a 91c switch for almost everything but the m3 in which it comes up as 82c switch which has been replaced by 91c. Pelican has assigned their own numbers to it though.

The big question is if anybody has tried this switch to do the electric fan conversion.

I believe I have an 80 degree thermostat in my car... it's whatever the previous owner put in there.

The fan is controlled with megasquirt and is the factory pusher fan for the A/C(sans condenser coil). I have no engine driven fan on the car anymore and it's only a problem in the hottest of days and driving hard in the mountains. Idling in traffic on 90-95F days isn't a problem, but my fan cycles a lot. I think that 82C is a little low for a fan switch, unless you use it on low speed only and have another switch for high. While megasquirt is effectively working like a thermoswitch, it only turns on the aux fan when engine temp reaches 190F, or ~87C.

I don't know if that helps answer your question, but if you run an 82C switch I think your fan will be running quite a bit, probably unnecessarily.
    '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
    NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
    Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Ok. I had read complaints about people using the stock switches which are 91/99c. I also thought about using an e36 switch which is 80/88c in place of the low switch and only hooking it up to the 88c terminals, but wasn't sure if 3 degrees celsius was enough to even bother with. I think ideal would probably be an 85c switch, but I haven't been able to find one that seems like it'd fit in the factory location.

Comment

Working...
      X