Another seat twist issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another seat twist issue

I have a quick question. My passenger side has the seat twist but I can get the seat even to fix it. However the drivers seat moves up and down evenly but the right side is several inches back giving it a constant twist that will not get straight. Is this a cable issue or a seat bracket issue? I have not seen anything or any write ups about it. Anything I should look for? Also the arm rest pretty much is useless because it touches the seat bottom. Thanks in advance for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$0 cost repair. BMW Front Seat Twist Repair, E34, E39 and other cars that use cables for seat adjustment. VERY IMPORTANT: Before taking the seat out adjust i...

Worked for me twice!
    C6Z
    S2K
    VeloN

Comment

It's a cable issue. You take the seat out, remove the cables one at a time, heat the metal end with a lighter using needlenose, pull off the metal end. Carefully cut 1/4" of the plastic cable outer cover off leaving the inner metal core unscathed, put the metal end back on and you are good to go. The plastic outer stretches over time and makes the metal inner pull away from the gear box. You can make a coat hanger wire piece about 6" long the shape of the metal inner and chuck it in a drill and adjust the seat by turning the gearbox until it's even. As a bonus, you may find all kinds of spare change under the seat. There's a write up on the Bimmernut.com 5 series forum by a guy named Shogun I believe.

Comment

I've done similar before, but my approach was to cut 1/4" out of the plastic cable outer cover in the center of the cable. Slide the two sides together. Then take a piece of fuel line and slit lengthwise so it can cover the gap. Use a hose clamp on each side over the fuel line to secure the two sides together.
        sigpic
        1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
        1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
        1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

When I tackled this, I took hunks of the end off. 1.5" on each side of the cable. I don't want to be doing this again.
          Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
          Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
          Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Working...
          X