No announcement yet.

Not seeing a post...changing diff's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking it out is pretty easy, minus braking some rusty bolts loose.

Seperate the driveshaft from the diff, seperate the two axels from the diff, two bolts on the top of the subframe, two towards the side, one through the diff mount, lower it with a jack.

Putting it back in is a pain though, so be prepaired to have some trouble lining the bolts back up.

97 Cosmos M3

Comment

Careful not to separate the driveshaft when pulling the diff out. Remember to disconnect speedo sensor before pulling diff out. Have fun aligning the 'top 4' :P

Everything else is straight forward.

Need:
      17mm for input flange nuts
      19mm for 'top 4' and back cover bolt
      6mm (?) allen for half shafts

that should do 'er

Comment

Originally posted by Beemerfanatik
        Going to be doing the swap tomorrow...any last pointers? I have the 3.25 sitting alone - just have to swap the cover and output flanges once the diff is off my car, drain, and fill - once it's on the car though, right? (The drain/fill)
        get a friend with lots of patience to help you, take make sure you can get the fill plug loose before you take the drain plug off.

Comment

Originally posted by tonytony
          Originally posted by Beemerfanatik
          Going to be doing the swap tomorrow...any last pointers? I have the 3.25 sitting alone - just have to swap the cover and output flanges once the diff is off my car, drain, and fill - once it's on the car though, right? (The drain/fill)
          get a friend with lots of patience to help you, take make sure you can get the fill plug loose before you take the drain plug off.
          your not kidding, getting you diff off was a freakin bitch, but its very doable.

Comment

Originally posted by tonytony
            get a friend with lots of patience to help you
            Great. Maybe I'm not doing this tomorrow - I was going to attempt it alone. Balls.

Comment

if your desperate you can do it alone, need a floor jack to move the diff around, if your in gravel lay down a sheet of 3/4 plywood to roll the jack on make manuvering that much easier, but since i'm a prissy bitch, i had a hoist and transmission jack to swap mine. :D :D

Comment

Let us know how the car drives after doing this...I'm looking at doing the same thing in the future, too. I want a S3.25 or maybe even a S3.46 out of an automatic equipped car.

Comment

Working...
                X