Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M50 Eaton M90 build (stock alt PS pump location)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M50 Eaton M90 build (stock alt PS pump location)

I'd like to share my M50 Eaton M90 build, it's not going in an E30 but all the technical data will still apply to M50 swaps. My goal was to keep the alternator and PS pump in the stock location. I see a lot of guys put the SC at the AC compressor location or move the alternator there. This being my first BMW with working AC I plan on keeping it.
    I know they make centrifugal SC kits that achieve this, but they are way out of my price range. I'll be using the M90 from a Ford Thunderbird. They can be bought used for$200-$400.

Here is my mounting bracket. It picks up a hole on the oil filter housing and 2 unused m6 bolts on the block.

Stainless spacers

Cut M50 manifold. The stock manifold plenum interferes with the SC

3" plenum with runners from Ross machine

Perfect match for a silicone coupler.

Blower inlet

Blower outlet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The pulley is from Moddbox, they are the only company that I could find that sells a pulley for a Ford M90. The Ford M90 has a different input shaft diameter than a GM M90. There are a lot more aftermarket modular pulley options for the GM M90.

3.5" and 3.1" pulleys

I had to mount the pulley backwards on the mount with shims to get the correct alignment with the M50 crank pulley

I'm waiting on a mock up alternator and power steering pump to finish my pulley/belt routing.

Comment

Noice! I'm putting an m90 on an m30 and this is inspiring confidence.
      Jah bless! :pimp:

Comment

Welcome to the world of pain.
        I Love my Bimmer. :up:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316184

Comment

Figured out the belt routing today. The extra pulleys are Dayco 89144 and the belt is a Bando 6pk1900. The duct on the alternator has to be hacked off to clear the supercharger.
          The supercharger pulley has about as much belt wrap as possible so hopefully it won't slip.

Comment

How many RPM will the blower be spinning @ redline?
            The ratio looks awfully slow to me.
            I am also concerned that nut does not look fully engaged.

Comment

Crank is 5.45" SC is 3.1" at 7000 rpm the SC will be spinning 12306 rpm. I'm hoping to keep it around 7 psi (engine is still stock). The nut is just loose on there now, I had to shim the pulley mount out a 1/4 of an inch on the shaft to get the correct alignment. I will use a low profile nylock nut to replace the stock one.

Comment

12306rpm sounds perfect for 7psi. Looking good.

Comment

Looking good so far, keep it up! Interested to see how this comes together
                  2.7i Stroker Turbo Build Thread

90 325i | 95 Miata

Comment

this is a cool project!
                    95 7.1L 16V E36 M3
                    Motorsport Hardware ***Wheel studs and Spacers!!!--->FOR SALE 4/5 Lug Stud Conversion Kits available CLICK HERE
                    LIKE my Facebook Page! CLICK HERE

Comment

Bro! Looks like proper fab work. That crank pulley may need more wrap to get to 7000rpm (not trying to be all douchebaggy).

Also, I found a 10% overdrive pulley for my ford m90 from a place in Florida. I'll try to find it again and link it. I believe it's a 2.75".
                      Originally posted by Andy.B
                      Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
                      1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
                      ~~~~~~~~~~
                      I was born on 3/25…
                      ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Ether-D View Post
                        Bro! Looks like proper fab work. That crank pulley may need more wrap to get to 7000rpm (not trying to be all douchebaggy).
                        ???? Could it be that your looking at the power steering pump pulley???
                        Looks like the crank pulley has about as much wrap as it will take.
                        I am wondering about the alternator pulley wrap.
                        1988 325 non-letter Seta "Bronzit"
                        1991 325ic "Laguna Green" (Sold)
                        1993 325i "Laguna Green/Silver" (Sold)
                        1998 528i "Artic Silver" m-sport(totalled by drunk driver)
                        2000 528i Titansilber/gray m-sport
                        2000 528i Titansilber/black m-sport(sold)
                        2001 525i Anthracite m-sport(sold)
                        2013 750i Black/Black m-sport "Beast"

Comment

Stock routing. About the same wrap on the crank alt and PS. If I develop a problem with charging/ steering I could always look into under drive pulleys.

Comment

I was totally looking at the power steering pump pulley. Derp.
                            Originally posted by Andy.B
                            Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
                            1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
                            ~~~~~~~~~~
                            I was born on 3/25…
                            ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Unfortunately this setup will be going in a E36. I know r3v is a E30 forum. I recently crashed my E30 M60 swap in NC leaving the Vintage. My E30 got 250whp at the dyno, hopefully I can get 300whp from this setup.
                              The swap is for sale. Asking $2500 includes engine, 5 speed trans(with flywheel/clutch), driveshaft, and 3.15 torsen LSD differential.

Comment

Working...
                              X