No announcement yet.

Now I'm really pissed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

arsevader, and what about that bushing/screw-in thing that goes in between the two parts? should I replace that?

Comment

Originally posted by zandi
      arsevader, and what about that bushing/screw-in thing that goes in between the two parts? should I replace that?
      Not sure I follow what you are refering to. You replaced the centre bearing/mount already right?

James

Comment

Yes, but its probably screwed up again now that its vibrating really hard again. I'm talking about the thing that goes onto the star shaped part of the driveshaft that goes into the other part of the driveshaft, it screws on and off the rear driveshaft

Comment

There is a small rubber bushing that presses into the end of the driveshaft and slides onto the metal pin coming off the tranny output flange. Check it out, as its been known to cuase slight hard to track down vibrations.
          85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

I've been talking to Trent about this problem a lot, and I've decided I'm just going to buy a new remanufactured driveshaft, from a company called Oceanside Driveline in California. They are the same company that Trent uses at his shop, and they said they are great. They also retain the stock BMW non-serviceable u-joints, unlike Driveline Service of Portland, who use servicable u-joints, which are in fact Nissan u-joints. Not only that, the new shaft from Oceanside is only $348, including core and shipping back to them of my old shaft.

Comment

Originally posted by Eurospeed88
              I've been talking to Trent about this problem a lot, and I've decided I'm just going to buy a new remanufactured driveshaft, from a company called Oceanside Driveline in California. They are the same company that Trent uses at his shop, and they said they are great. They also retain the stock BMW non-serviceable u-joints, unlike Driveline Service of Portland, who use servicable u-joints, which are in fact Nissan u-joints. Not only that, the new shaft from Oceanside is only $348, including core and shipping back to them of my old shaft.
              Dam I can get a BRAND new one from BMW for $490 last time I checked a few months ago with no core, and no shipping

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas H
                Dam I can get a BRAND new one from BMW for $490 last time I checked a few months ago with no core, and no shipping
                somehow I don't think BMW still manufactures these. it's probably a rebuild, which is pretty much the same as a new one anyway..
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I wanted to inform everyone that the problem is fixed. Well, it's about 99% fixed.

After getting under the car yesterday starting at about noon, I discovered that the marks on the driveshaft were in fact one spline off. So we pulled it out, lined the marks up, and reinstalled the shaft. The vibration got twice as bad. Now I was getting really upset. So I called Jordan, and asked him what if any suggestions he had. As usual, he offered the correct answer.

The spot we had the halves lined up to before (one spline off, clockwise from the marks) had caused pretty bad vibration, and moving it one spline COUNTER-clockwise to where the marks line up, made the vibration even worse. He suggested that the marks on the driveshaft may be wrong, which it turns out they are, and since the vibration lessened when the halves were moved one spline clockwise from the marks, it should become even less when moved one spline farther clockwise.

So we dropped it again, and moved it 2 splines clockwise from the marks. The vibration all but disappeared. We dropped it again, and moved it one more spline, and the vibration began to return. So we dropped it one more time, moved it back one spline, and reinstalled it. The vibration still remains, although VERY slight. It hasn't gone away 100%, but we think this is because one of the weights may have fallen off of the shaft, there is a spot that looks like it had one, and it's not there.

In total, since the beginning of this driveshaft ordeal, I've removed and dropped the shaft 7 times. I can do the entire job, with only dropping the exhaust at the rear, in just under an hour, and I can get the shaft itself out in 20 minutes. :D

Comment

Impressive.

You were only a few notches off and you got vibrations?
                    Crazy.
                    Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Originally posted by eightyfoure
                      Impressive.

You were only a few notches off and you got vibrations?
                      Crazy.
                      Well, think about it. There's 360 degrees around the shaft, and there aren't that many splines. So if you were to divide 360 by the number of splines, you're looking at like an 8-12 degree difference at each spline, probably more. That's a damn big margin of difference going from spline to spline.

Comment

Hmm. I wish this was the solutions to my driveshaft vibration woes :(

Alas, my U-Joint is shot. Next week I'm pulling it and having a jap U-joint put in and the shaft rebalanced.

The beauty of living in a third world nation though.. this is all going to run me up about $80 for good work :P
                        1988 325iC - "Betty" - Daily Driver/Project Car.
                        1993 318i - "The Golden Dream" - Dad's Car.
                        1995 318ti - "Hellrot" - R.I.P.

Comment

Damn dude, you must have pissed off doing all that. So I'm totally f***ed, I just took off my heatshields, and came to see my problem. My ujoints were never even aligned at all when I put the thing back together. So I'm taking the whole thing out to get it aligned and balanced at a driveshaft shop.

The only problem now is finding a decent driveshop shop.

Comment

I'm still going to buy a new remanufactured driveshaft, when I have the extra cash kicking around. This light vibration will be tolerable for now.

Comment

Originally posted by nando
                              Originally posted by Thomas H
                              somehow I don't think BMW still manufactures these. it's probably a rebuild, which is pretty much the same as a new one anyway..
                              BMW does still make them, NO CORE= not rebuilt. New :roll: Greasable U joints novel idea on a driveshaft that one of the U joints is not even readily accessible. and the fact that the drive shaft does not have any vertical movement like a traditional leaf spring car.

Comment

Working...
                              X