No announcement yet.

Official: Show your plaid or pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so, i decided to get cracking on my seats, took my back rest to work and got started on striping the seat and rebuilding the rubber (foam).
    this is what i started with:

this is what we use to trim and cut rubber, its basicly an electric knife,

after i cut out all the all the bad stuff,

then i cut a piece of 3" rubber and cut out a spot for the rail,

then glued it on, we use a presurized container with an industrial adheasive,

then backed it with 1/2" rubber,

now the hard part, this is all done by eye and experience. im still learning this part, but is very artistic, its basicly sculpting, a word of advise, go slow, take very little at a time.

once i feel like its close enough, i cover both pieces of rubber with 1/4" rubber, it smoothes out all the imperfections, and brings back some of the size that the ruibber has lost over the last 20 years,

well thats as much as i got done on friday, maybe this week ill get to paterning and sewing.
    Proud Owner and Operator.
    sigpic

Comment

my M tech II. has the ski pass in the rear too

black bolsters are on the way!!!

Comment

Great work excited for more progress. Black leather bolsters with plaid inserts re my plans.
        Originally posted by Wh33lhop
        This is r3v. Check your vaginal sand at the door.

Comment

Is there an equivalent or at least similar consumer version of your adhesive?

Comment

not really, when the shop air goes out sometimes we use the 3m 90 stuff, but it doesnt hold as well, but on rubber like this its not that big a deal because the 1/4" stuff holds it all togeather, and the covers are going to help it stay in place.
            sigpic

Comment

What I always thought would finish off a nice plaid interior would be to cover the sun visors in the matching material. Would really set the whole job off IMHO. It's gotta be really easy to do for those who are well inclined.

Comment

Did this for laughs today, and to break out the sewing machine and get some practice in.

Comment

^^yes

Comment

Are there any more custom interiors on this boat???

Comment

The PO cut a huge hole in the backseat, so I made my own arm rest.

I'm not done yet. So, it is what it is...
                      '02 Outback wagon
                      '87 325is 5sp
                      '93 Kawasaki ZR1100

Comment

a nicely done. Is that a genuine lumber jack plaid shirt?

Comment

Originally posted by EthirtyIS View Post
                          so, i decided to get cracking on my seats, took my back rest to work and got started on striping the seat and rebuilding the rubber (foam).
                          this is what i started with:

this is what we use to trim and cut rubber, its basicly an electric knife,

after i cut out all the all the bad stuff,

then i cut a piece of 3" rubber and cut out a spot for the rail,

then backed it with 1/2" rubber,

now the hard part, this is all done by eye and experience. im still learning this part, but is very artistic, its basicly sculpting, a word of advise, go slow, take very little at a time.

once i feel like its close enough, i cover both pieces of rubber with 1/4" rubber, it smoothes out all the imperfections, and brings back some of the size that the ruibber has lost over the last 20 years,

well thats as much as i got done on friday, maybe this week ill get to paterning and sewing.
                          You work at a shop, are giving people tips and thats the extent of your foam repair?? ..wow.
                          ----- www.jjcustominterior.com -----
                          We specialize in Recaro restoration!

Comment

Originally posted by slaterd View Post
                            a nicely done. Is that a genuine lumber jack plaid shirt?
                            Uuummm, I can't tell if your being a smartass or not, if you really like it THANKS.
                            Yes it is a lumber jack plaid shirt.
                            '02 Outback wagon
                            '87 325is 5sp
                            '93 Kawasaki ZR1100

Comment

Pharow, I think he just joking,
                              A2, I've been working in the shop 2months now, I normally don't sculpt rubber or deal with it at all. We rebuild heavy truck seats and somethimes passenger cars, but we supply a fleet of over 5000 so their more worried about quantity, not quality. I'm just throwing tills out there to help anyone attempting these things on their own. I never said I was a veteran, but I'm learning and improving.
                              So, I guess thanks for the words of encouragement?
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by oldsch_e30 View Post
                                that's sick as fuck

Comment

Working...
                                X