Flat black E34, build thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by june3o View Post
    I want to paint my e30 flat black.. shop quoted me for 1500 that includes full body work and paint and I don't even know if they're going to do a good job for that, just don't want to get ripped off. I got a few small dents here and there. I don't know if this is worth it or should I just do it myself.. Problem is I don't know how to paint...
    When painting a car it sometimes helps to know how to paint ;)

Comment

yeah I know.. just don't want to screw up and end up messing my with car..

Comment

yeah I know.. just don't want to screw up and end up messing my with car..
        Read LOTS about it, get some equipment and PRACTICE! Grab a spare hood or whatever, and work on it until it is perfect, the take your fenders off and do them...then dive into the body.

Closing SOON!
        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

I want to paint my e30 flat black.. shop quoted me for 1500 that includes full body work and paint and I don't even know if they're going to do a good job for that, just don't want to get ripped off. I got a few small dents here and there. I don't know if this is worth it or should I just do it myself.. Problem is I don't know how to paint...
          That's around the same price I'm going to end up paying for this job minus tons of labor. Wrap + tools = not expensive in NY.

Honestly, (take this with grain of salt) flat black seems to look a bit dull if will rattle can it. The wrap I'm using is flat black opaque and it has a bit of a shine that does not give out 'primer' look.

Compare wrapped mirror to painted one I posted:

Founder @ Maintenr. Take control of your vehicle maintenance.

Comment

in for more pics
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by der affe
            first try a finger or 2, you need to have them suck on it first and get it nice and wet to help it slip in.

if she goes for that, astroglide up your pole, have her lay on her stomach and slip it in slowly and bury it to your balls and leave it there until she relaxes. once she is used to it slam that ass like a screen door.

Comment

Sorry no pictures (I have few boring one of coating fender in rust removal solution but will save those for later).

The good news is that I found pretty mint fender to replace the one that was hit! 10+ junkyards visited around and this one still had some rust in the in-famous areas.

This weekend and week will be very busy for me, I have to paint/recondition two rear doors (there is 0 rust on them whew!) recondition and paint two fenders, side skirts, install the wrapped trunk and wrap all four doors!

Next Sunday, we will be swapping doors in so the car /should/ have everything wrapped minus the roof (50/50)/bumpers and C pillars.

I'm excited.

Comment

Comment

Lookin good!
                  91 318is M50 swapped
                  05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Originally posted by Aleksey View Post
                    Hell yeah Meguiar's Quick Detailer is magic in a bottle. Can't wait to see the finished project.

07 Designio E63 AMG / 1984 318i (M20Swapped)

Comment

This is going to be awesome.
                      I dig the red tails. Keep 'em, don't black them out.
                      -Brandon
                      '86 325es S50
                      '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
                      '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
                      '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
                      S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

Originally posted by Aleksey View Post
                        Even with low mileage E34 doors already rusting, sand it, convert it and coat it with rubberized coating. You think your body shop will do it when you are getting a paint job?
                        What's the rubber coating for? sorry I don't know any of this stuff and I'm planning on paint my car flat black...

Comment

Thanks guys, I might have to keep my current lights until I get the gasket for the ones in the picture but that's the plan! Totally agree about not blacking it out that would be tacky

What's the rubber coating for? sorry I don't know any of this stuff and I'm planning on paint my car flat black...
                          Honestly, if you are going to rattle can it without wrap on top it will not look that good in the sun. Flat black tends to show everything (granted I did not clear coat it). Just my 2 cents.

Regarding rubber coating, it's basicly a spray can of 'melted' rubber that will become a rubbery substance (think plastic-dip but more rubbery). In this project (I think I have ADD) I went all out in rust prevention and rubber coating is what I use on the inside of the panels after spraying convertor on it for an extra layer of protection.

That said and done, I have been busy wrapping doors for Sunday:

This one came out perfect, but only after 5 hours of other attempts. Got the procedure down now :letitout:

Comment

so are you spraying the car with paint than then laying that fabric over it or does the fabric peal on and leaved a flat look?
                            Much wow
                            I hate 4 doors

Comment

Originally posted by Cabriolet View Post
                              so are you spraying the car with paint than then laying that fabric over it or does the fabric peal on and leaved a flat look?
                              The car I have is black, the donor parts from the swap car had minimal rust but were in green and had few dings here and there. I'm simply sanding down all the doors, fixing rust/body work and priming/protective coating in flat black paint before I wrap it.

The flat black paint is just something I used on top of primer to cover it up and give it extra layer of protection.

Edit: Also had to match insides of the door with that paint forgot that was one of the reasons
                              Last edited by Aleksey; 04-22-2011, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Went to town with Adhesion promoter/liner on sun roof scoop thinking it's Adhesion removal ... I think I need to take a break.

Comment

Working...
                                X