Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

engine dies upon acceleration 0 suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine dies upon acceleration 0 suggestions?

'86 M20- cold start- fine, but when warmed the engine dies when clutch is let out in gear; it idles rough but if it doesn't stall, can be sometimes be teased to reving in neutral; when the revs are high enough slipping the clutch can get it moving and keeping the revs high (running in the lower gears) it seems normal, stopping at a light I have to play with it again to get it moving; when idling often it will die or nearly die when the accelerator is pressed; often when I get it moving by slipping the clutch it will accelerate, then die.

It has a new AFM, new throttle position sensor, new temp sensors; new spark coil, ignition wires are fine; just checked the cold start valve hot, it's tight; the vacuum line to the fuel regulator is fine; there seems no diagnostic check list in Bently's..

.. any suggestions..?

Classic problems for vacuum leaks. Have a smoke test done.

Comment

thank you, dnguyen1963

a good suggestion, and I will check that out just to make sure.. I call it the 'suck a hose' test, but I am quite sure that is not it; most hoses & gaskets are new, and this happened suddenly, one day fine, the next day, I'm limping home..

Comment

Get a smoke test done. That is the only sure way to find intake leaks.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Thank you all...but it does seem to be the fuel pressure regulator; just as an experiment, this morning I shot a spritz of silicone lubricant into the vacuum side of the regulator, reconnected the hose and gave it a few hard sucks, started it and let it warm up reving it a bit; drove it around the neighborhood... it's fine, but it being 28 years old, I will order a new regulator. Thank you again.

Comment

Do a fuel pressure test before you start spending too much money on parts. You can easily test for a bad fpr, leaky injectors or a bad fuel pump check valve. If the car starts easily, then it's likely not a bad fpr... But you can do an fpr flow test to confirm, assuming the fpr is holding pressure, though again, a faulty fpr probably wouldn't hold pressure, which would lead to hard starts the longer the car sits.
            1990 325i

Comment

Working...
            X