M20 needs head gasket put money into or dump it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20 needs head gasket put money into or dump it

My E30 has a major oil leak from the head gasket thank you Victor Reinz and cheap previous owner.

The head is pretty fresh I am not sure how the bottom end is but it still runs great.

I bought the car 4.5 years ago and never planned on keeping the M20 in it this long but with a wife two kids and a new house things keep getting put on the back burner but now the headgasket is forcing the issue.

I thought of selling the car because I dont have alot of time to devote to it but I love driving it so much if it was not for being small for a family and the A/C being terrible I prefer it over my 335i.

So now I have to decide put a headgasket on the M20 and drive it for who knows how long or put a M52/S50/S52 in it

I am even interested in doing some upgrades to the M20 as I love the sound of it and the originality factor but unless compression ratio and displacement is increased cam header and a chip are just throwing money away for minimal gains
    1989 BMW 325is Lachsilber metallic 5 speed
    2007 BMW 335i KARMESINROT 6 Speed manual
    2011 BMW X5 35I

I would just replace the headgasket and enjoy it as a classic sports car

Comment

Replace the head gasket and have the head checked for flatness.

"a wife two kids and a new house" is not a good fit with doing an engine swap right now ... both from a cost and time perspective. This coming from someone that just did an M52 swap into the eta.

The E30 collection:
      1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
      1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
      1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
      1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
      1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
      1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
      1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
      2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
      2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

you can check the head for flatness your self, that is why I said just replace the head gasket. I figure people know to do certain things when something is posted like that.

Comment

How do you even know if the straight edge you have at home is truly flat ?

You don't and most aren't within an acceptable tolerance. Take it to a machine shop to check
          Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
          Alice the Time Capsule
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
          87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

...or use a $12 piece of drill rod and a feeler gauge...

t
            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I agree. Pull the head and replace the gasket. I'm definitely not saying there is anything wrong with checking flatness yourself, but I'd take it to a machine shop just to make sure. I don't do this everyday, so I like to get a professional set of eyes on it.

Comment

I had trouble with the VR head gaskets until I used the copper gasket spray on them.
                Since then I've done 2 with good success. I would get Goetze preferably.

Comment

Two years on with a Reinz and still no issues.
                  '90 zinno 325iS

Comment

Working...
                  X