Weird ignition electrical problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need some help with mi car. It is a 1991 325i that has been sitting for 10 years. I was told the starter is bad, so that might be where the no crank comes from.

If you want a better video I'll go take another one, but prettymuch what is happening is that once I attach my battery the dash lights and other accesories come on even with the key removed. I can work all the headlights and windows as well as the blower. Once I put the key into the on position or try to crank it I can no longer work these accessories, but the dash is still half lit up.

Any suggestions?

Wow that is bizarre, I would suggest finding a known working ignition cylinder and swapping your pins into it.

Comment

Thanks, I will have to try that. What's got me is when I went to look at the car everything acted normal as it should, but after the tow home it started acting up. I did a little poking around on the internet and some suggested it might be bad grounds, so I went through and secured the grounds around the car today. I am going to work on getting the proper battery for the car this weekend and I'll give it another try and report back.

Comment

I'd try a new unloader relay. Could be sticking or doing something strange.

Comment

Ignition switch?

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
          1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
          Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
          Mtech 2 turbo restoration
          Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Got the proper battery in today. Seems to be working normal besides the blower motor and windows don't work now. Going to go through my fuses tomorrow and see if they're all good. Is there a way to test relays? Also found this, is this for the cruise control? Wonder if this is the source of my issues

Comment

You can test relays with a 12 volt power source and jumper wires with alligator clips along with a multi meter on the circuit that activates when the relay is engaged.
              We use an old calculator transformer for the power supply.

Comment

A new battery made the windows and blower not work? huh......... uh.......??? geez...
                If switched power has been crossed with a constant battery connection, that would be my best guess. It could also lead to fuses blowing. Use a probe/DMM to test connections (or, failing that, an LED and two AA batteries)

Comment

I found out there was no ground cable from the engine to chassis, since it was not there I missed it on my initial run through of the grounds. Caused a lot of weird issues. Got a jumper cable hooked up and everything works no problem now, chasing down a fuel delivery problem now.

Thanks guys

Comment

Working...
                  X