Visiting Boise, ID 3/29-4/05

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visiting Boise, ID 3/29-4/05

I've seen a few members from Boise and wondering what fun can I get into and are there any meets? I'd like to catch a ride in the TTe30M3 that's up for grabs, too. Give me some sopts, or suggestions.

-Brandon

I'm old and boring, so I'm not going to be much help.
    There was a small herd of Bimmer Hooligans messing about on Bogus Basin Road last fall, so there is hope. But that road and other fun roads are still covered with sand and winter nastiness and won't be of any use for a couple more months. If you are determined to find some kind of fuel burning mayhem (Bimmers or not) look up the Idaho Speed Center. Someone there could probably point you in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by =E30= View Post
      I'm old and boring, so I'm not going to be much help.
      There was a small herd of Bimmer Hooligans messing about on Bogus Basin Road last fall, so there is hope. But that road and other fun roads are still covered with sand and winter nastiness and won't be of any use for a couple more months. If you are determined to find some kind of fuel burning mayhem (Bimmers or not) look up the Idaho Speed Center. Someone there could probably point you in the right direction.
      Idaho Speed Center is no more - closed up shop.

Check out downtown Boise, it's kinda fun on teh weekends - although I haven't been down there since I turned 21, so it might be more fun now. ;)

Train depot is fun to check out, but really not amazing.

Driving up bogus just to see the city is pretty cool.

There's an old penetentiary (SP?) that might give tours in east Boise.

What are you looking to do? Tour around? meet up with car guys??

Check you PMs too.
      - Sean Hayes

Comment

I'm headed up early on the 29th, my lady's best friend is havig a baby, so it's road trip time. Gonna go up thru Nevada, just get out of Los Angeles area. Be there all week, I have no plans other then getting there, and at the end, driving back. Everything in the middle is gonna be up to the fates. Any suggestions are good, whatever is fun, cool, or otherwise interesting. Thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
          I'm headed up early on the 29th, my lady's best friend is havig a baby, so it's road trip time. Gonna go up thru Nevada, just get out of Los Angeles area. Be there all week, I have no plans other then getting there, and at the end, driving back. Everything in the middle is gonna be up to the fates. Any suggestions are good, whatever is fun, cool, or otherwise interesting. Thanks guys.
          Right on! Yea, that's teh route I took. I actually went thru the Majave, since I was in Palm Springs area.

I'll let you know if I think of more! You could always meet up with my dad, and you could check out our garage with 5-6 BMWs in it at any time. Well..4 in the garage and 2 outside...LOL Mine is at home right now too.
          - Sean Hayes

Comment

Sean, your pops was looking at my 91 iX last fall but he didn't buy it. That would have been an interesting addition to the stable. I think the price was too high and the car too clapped out. I ended up trading it for a really nice Glacier Blue 91 325i with glass sunroof. Everyone talks about trades, but I never thought of actually doing it. If felt kinda strange... Anyway, you should get your dad to buy my 91 340i (M60 V8 swap) That would round out the collection real nice!

Comment

Sean, your pops was looking at my 91 iX last fall but he didn't buy it. That would have been an interesting addition to the stable. I think the price was too high and the car too clapped out. I ended up trading it for a really nice Glacier Blue 91 325i with glass sunroof. Everyone talks about trades, but I never thought of actually doing it. If felt kinda strange... Anyway, you should get your dad to buy my 91 340i (M60 V8 swap) That would round out the collection real nice!
              Really?! I don't remember hearing about that one. 91 IX? Did they make them in 91? He usually tells me every car he finds... WAIT A SEC - I do remember. He mentioned somebody with a V8 swap 3 series! Where are you at? Are you in Boise? I totally wanna take a ride in that swapped e30!
              - Sean Hayes

Comment

That makes two of us. Looks like some silly powered e30's in Boise.

Comment

Yea, I gotta stop being gone already. I'll be back in Boise April 28th! woohooo
                  - Sean Hayes

Comment

Yeah 88-91. The 88's had all the options included, but had diving boards. 89-91 you had to select the options you wanted. The 88 iX's were something like six grand more than the 2WD cars, so they sold terrible and hence made all the goodies optional after the first year. Mine was the uber rare 2-door 5-speed. Only a couple hundred sold in the country. Undoubtedly very few left.

Not sure when you are going to be back in Boise, but I intend to get the 340 sold by the end of April.

BTW, I'm the guy that used to beat up on everyone in DSP with my (sold) blue 92 325is. Haven't seen you since the autocrossing days a few years ago. I'm in Eagle, supposedly pretty close to your dad's house.

Comment

Yeah 88-91. The 88's had all the options included, but had diving boards. 89-91 you had to select the options you wanted. The 88 iX's were something like six grand more than the 2WD cars, so they sold terrible and hence made all the goodies optional after the first year. Mine was the uber rare 2-door 5-speed. Only a couple hundred sold in the country. Undoubtedly very few left.

Not sure when you are going to be back in Boise, but I intend to get the 340 sold by the end of April.

BTW, I'm the guy that used to beat up on everyone in DSP with my (sold) blue 92 325is. Haven't seen you since the autocrossing days a few years ago. I'm in Eagle, supposedly pretty close to your dad's house.
                      Well shit, I think I remember you. I'm going to try to make one of the autocrosses while I'm home - theres one on the May 18th. I'll contact you when I'm back in town! (yep, we live in Eagle)

Definitely sounds like you had a rare one. I wish I was in the position to gobble up another car, cause I'd love to have an IX for the winter! :D Sorry Farb, didn't mean to thread jack. :)
                      - Sean Hayes

Comment

Originally posted by Sean View Post
                        :D Sorry Farb, didn't mean to thread jack. :)
                        No prob, gotta unite the potatofolk one way or another.

Comment

uhhh...

Its pretty cold and windy. Bring some warmish clothes.

When I'm looking for something fun to do in Boise, I usually leave Boise, and go to one of the surrounding small towns.

Idaho City is really close, less than an hour drive. Its a small old mining town, which used to be the capital of idaho. Not a whole lot there besides a bunch of hiking trails (covered in snow atm) and a few good places to get breakfast. Its much better in the summer.

McCall is a nice resort town, with two ski hills really close. Its about a 2.5 hour drive from Boise- the roads I clear... I just got back. A couple hotsprings on the way.

Then there is Bogus Basin, a ski hill about 45min from Boise. Its pretty decent skiing. I guess if I were to be visiting Boise, I'd probably go rent some skis and hit up Bogus. Then go to the hotsprings at Banks... which is kind of hard to find.

If you like to get drunk we have about 20 bars down town in a 5 block radius.

Whatever... I'm boring. My friends and I pretty much just watch movies, go for hikes, and work on cars.

Its kind of an akward time to visit- not quite winter, not quite summer.

Make the best of it.

-Addis

Doing something M50 related? -> http://www.addissimo.com
                          On Myspace? ->http://groups.myspace.com/r3vlimited
                          BF2142 SN = BillyGoose

Comment

If you're interested in skiing at all, I've got a free pass to Bogus Basin with your name on it.

As far as good restaurants...

just depends on what kind of food you like, and your budget.

The Milky Way is a wonderful place to eat. They've got a great lunch menu, and dinner menu. Think gourmet comfort food, with a slight mix of culture. That description doesn't really do it justice, but its a great place to eat. You're looking at about $9/person during lunch, and $15-30 at dinner.

BarDeNay is a nice pub/restaurant, with your typical assortment of burgers and whatnot. I'll let their website do the talking -probably my favorite "cheap" place to eat.
                            Bardenay serves house-distilled cocktails and delicious, Northwest cuisine. Join us for your next meal.

If you're health minded and need something on the go, the Boise Coop is where you want to be, an organic "granola" grocery store, with an awesome deli & wine selection. Sandwiches are made to order in a couple of minutes, with more choices than subway could even begin to offer. They are affordable to boot.
                            The Boise Co-op is a community-owned natural foods grocery store located in the treasure valley specializing in organic, bulk, vegan and vegetarian groceries and more. We also specialize in health and wellness supplements and holistic remedies.

If you want delicious greasy fast food, the West Side Drive-In is pretty good. It is actually run by a Chef, and I know he has a couple Chefs working for him.

For pizza, you should look no further than Guido’s. The Pizza I’ve had anywhere, and I’ve had pizza a lot of places. Damn cheap, but they only accept cash, so be prepared. Ask for the garlic dipping sauce… its fantastic.

We have a couple good sushi restaurants- Starting with Zutto. Good all around sushi, they’ll make anything, even if its not on the menu. I’m a fan of the spicy fireman roll. No webpage.

Then there is Happy Fish. Good sushi, good drinks, small restaurant with a decent atmosphere. I’m not sure which I like best between these two.

For breakfast, Goldy’s is the place to go. The wait can be long, I’d recommend getting there at about 8, or make it a late breakfast and get there at 11-12. Definitely worth a wait though. Plan on about $10/plate. I love breakfast, so if I had to limit my eating out to one place, this would be it.

The griddle is also a nice place to get breakfast, my girlfriend prefers it over Goldy’s, only because of the Coconut French toast, though. I don’t like the menu as much as Goldy’s, but it is still good food if you’re out in the Eagle area.
                            They evidently don’t have a webpage, so here is a google map link: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&sa...JJrYigH5hv2vCQ

If you want to grab a bite, give me a ring.

-Addis

Doing something M50 related? -> http://www.addissimo.com
                            On Myspace? ->http://groups.myspace.com/r3vlimited
                            BF2142 SN = BillyGoose

Comment

Niiice Addis! You the man!!
                              - Sean Hayes

Comment

Working...
                              X