1986 325I Mtech1 S54 Conversion Update 28/06/13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dang. You got yourself a project.

Looking good man. Congratulations on all the fun stuff there.

Comment

ooooo very nice!
      GRIPPY'S*GARAGE

Comment

Update 22/05/12

Quiskest update ever! :shock:

Monday last week, i turned the modified subframe in for powdercoating. Later that day i picked up a rear subframe, from the same place i got the engine. Needed that for adjustuble comber/toe modification. Got the bolts and brackets from AKG, and i will not recommend this kit. Its galvanized, or something else, and its shite to weld! Some brackets got a little to burned, but i think it will hold. If not ill just have to redo it.

Wednesday i picked up the powdercoated front subframe, and the coather got the rear one for coating.

Thursday and Friday i disassembled the front of the car, and pulled the engine. I thought the car was in a better condition than it is Also its not the engine the car was born with. So for some reason it has been changed along the way. No pictures of the disassembling, but theres nothing to look at, except for a lot of rust

Empty enginebay, ready for new engine :D

Disassembled parts.

Modified oilpan on the engine. Notice the cut oil line from the head to the pan. It was cut to make it shorter to fit the pan. More on that further down.

Transmission on the engine.

Subframe and Z3 rack in its place.

Engine finally where its supposed to be! Shouldent have installed the steering rack before the engine, the pan hit it while trying to put it in. So i had to loosen the subframe, and drop it in order to get the engine in.

Testfitting the manifold, with an old 2002 brake booster. Not enough room unfortunately :( Think ill have to move the booster 2 cm to the left.

My new AKG DTM Shortshifter installed :twisted: Such a nice piece.

Took the old selector rod and cut it up, in order to make a mockup for later use.

Mockup selector rod testfitting.

Parts listed from the top:
        - Original Z4 tranny mount, which is to wide to fit in the E30 tunnel. Also the right mounting point is to low.
        - My version of a trannymount. Made in aluminum, and tig welded.
        - Mockup selector rod.
        - Shortened AKG Z4 selector rod
        - Piece cut out of AKG rod
        - Oilpipe welded back together. 0.5 mm stainless is a bitch to weld :evil:

Till next time
        My 325I Mtech1 S54 Build

Comment

You are the MAN!

Comment

nice work on the fabrication

-
            Project
            Parts for Sale
            Feedback
            YouTube Channel

Comment

Nice Project! Will be wicked fun when running!!

If you are looking for a finished production laser cut mounting solution for the ZF 6 speed + E30 I am globally distributing ZF6 mounting sets for ZF6 transmission mounting and Chassis adaptation complete sets with Hardware. Locally USA Produced by the guys @ BNB designs here in Northern california. Fully plug and play with custom hardware and chassis adapter set also is a production item (and in stock). :)

As mounted (raw un-finished is also avail) in my own 1987 E30 :)

OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by brian52555 View Post
                You are the MAN!
                Lol if you say so! That comment deserves a MAN pic :mrgreen:

Originally posted by iwantspeed View Post
                nice work on the fabrication
                Thanks for the kind words :D Not everything is up to the standard i would like it to though :-( Gues ill get better with more practice

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
                Nice Project! Will be wicked fun when running!!

If you are looking for a finished production laser cut mounting solution for the ZF 6 speed + E30 I am globally distributing ZF6 mounting sets for ZF6 transmission mounting and Chassis adaptation complete sets with Hardware. Locally USA Produced by the guys @ BNB designs here in Northern california, in stock and ready to ship :)

As mounted (raw un-finished is also avail) in my own 1987 E30 :)
                What do you charge for such a kit? And how fast can you make delivery?
                Last edited by Loupoz; 05-28-2012, 12:30 PM.
                My 325I Mtech1 S54 Build

Comment

Originally posted by Loupoz View Post
                  Lol if you say so! That comment deserves a MAN pic :mrgreen:

What do you charge for such a kit? And how fast can you make delivery?
                  lol beer salut!

Kits are in stock and can be shipped out ASAP if you have a deadline.

check your PM's!

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Whoa very nice. Looks to be coming along well!
                    Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

Time for a mini update :)

Ordered an oilcooler, and some waterhose last week. Also ordered the BNB Designs transmission mount setup.

Now the more exiting stuff! Got some cool BBS RX from ebay.de for when ill convert to 5-lug. Also got some motor oil.

Also picked up the rear subframe from powdercoating.

My 325I Mtech1 S54 Build

Comment

Wow! Awesome build!
                        -Nick
                        Originally posted by 87e30
                        First of all: calm the fuck down; second of all; cool story bro.

Comment

Update 05/06/12

Got a little more done, nothing exciting though.

Got the steering knuckle back in place.

Modified shifter in place.

Good clearance for all the 6 gears. It rubs a little when putting it into reverse though. Shouldent matter.

Got my servo hoses sorted. Used a Z3m one.

Modified oildrainback pipe back in place. Fits perfectly.

My lovely girlfriend polishing my exhaust with a dremel.

Headers in place.

No room for the stock front control arm bushing.

Good thing i also got pair of these then :mrgreen:

Radiator in place. Had to heighten the rubber mounts in the bottom a little.

My BNB Designs tranny mounting kit arrived. Nice kit!

Got some wiring harness put a bit more in place.

And now the biggest most exciting update in this post! Found out that the airbox can fit with my 2002 brake booster :D The booster just needed to get bolted into place, and the manifold needed a bit of violence to get into place. With a couple of washers between the manifold and the small rubber mounts theres a few millimeters of clearance.

Next problem: No room for the waterhose between engine and heater.

After it was introduced to the dremel. Also notice i installed the throttle cable. Used an E36 one.

Hose testfitting.

Dident get pics of the hose installed for some reason. Here you can se how much was cut of. It was a E39 528i hose.
                          My 325I Mtech1 S54 Build

Comment

looks awesome! Glad you like the kit!!

Your engine bay looks so nice with the s54 accumulator and stock looking brake booster!!!

Comment

wow, cool to see all these r3v-related fabricated parts getting used in a build! have any more pics of TinyT's subframe?

can't wait to see the next update.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
                                looks awesome! Glad you like the kit!!

Your engine bay looks so nice with the s54 accumulator and stock looking brake booster!!!
                                Guess the pictures makes it look a whole lot better than it does IRL. It was a huge relief when i found out that it all can fit in there! :D But when you make one problem go away, 2 new ones appear. Found out that the front header doesent leave room for the FCAB, so i have more stainless to start TIG'ing up. Also i think i might have to relocate the ABS block to the right side of the engine bay, in order to have enough room for my AFE intake kit.

Originally posted by evandael View Post
                                wow, cool to see all these r3v-related fabricated parts getting used in a build! have any more pics of TinyT's subframe?

can't wait to see the next update.
                                Think ive posted them all, but ill take some more tomorrow :)
                                My 325I Mtech1 S54 Build

Comment

Working...
                                X