X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy View Post
    I want a 12v head for an M50 now.
    HA! That made my morning!

Bending valves depends whether the engine is "intereference" or "non-interference" and this is a fuction of lift, duration, piston design, CR... not as simple as how many valves are in each hole.
    Current: Brilliantrot '91 318is M20B25
    Former: '88 M3 3.2L, '91 318is 2.0L, '90 318i, '85 325e 2.8L, '84 318i 2.0L, '84 318i, '90 325is
    wamchenry@gmail.com
    insta: @simple_machines

Comment

I live right down the road from where he blew up the quatros engine ahaha

My dream is to find one of these in some old woman's garage somewhere in the back woods of ct
      M30 is God's motor.....but Jesus drives an M60'd car -slammin.e28

Comment

Originally posted by bimma360 View Post
        Eh ludicrous is a strong word. But it's not out of the ordinary for companies to buy out the technology of other companies, or even buying up entire companies for that purpose.
        While it may sound reasonable you have to understand Germans are not.
        From experience I will tell you there is no way in hell that in those days BMW would adopt Callaways design.

Never mind a cylinder head, If the Germans gave a $hit your E30 would have come with a cupholder....

Comment

It's my understanding that 24v m20 heads went from Callaway's shop to Racing Dynamics, once there Federico's team took a shot at them as a few critical issues remained, project ran out of time due to m50 engines.

As far as bringing them back from the grave ... RD would do it, but whom's pledging 250k's to get project started ?

Group buy ? $ 2,500 each x 100 heads = much happiness :)

Comment

There was a BMW production prototype for a 4v head for the M10 in the early 70's.
            BMW decided that it would be too expensive and too hard to maintain (i.e. warranty).

The M12 4v M10 racing head's not all that uncommon in a Chevron, March, etc sports
            racer from the early 70's.

Alpina did a 4 valve head for the M10, too, and Alpina and BMW got along pretty well.

Well, then there's the S14, too. Oh, and the first M42's showed up in ROW in the late '80's.

So BMW was no stranger to DOHC, they just didn't see a place for it in a production
            car until the 'gas crisis' blew over.

So really, while it would be cooler than shit to bolt a 24v head (and pistons) onto an
            M20, it certainly can't be cost- effective, seeing as an M5x can be had (with a whole
            donor car wrapped around it) for a couple grand. AND the M20 bottom end's not really
            that different than an M5x anyway.

Historically cool, sure!

t
            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
              Alpina did a 4 valve head for the M10, too, and Alpina and BMW got along pretty well.

I have never seen an Alpina 4 valve M10 head, You aren't referring to the Schnitzer 4 valve M10 heads are you? I have seen a few of those in person.
              Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
              The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
                There was a BMW production prototype for a 4v head for the M10 in the early 70's.
                BMW decided that it would be too expensive and too hard to maintain (i.e. warranty).
                Rumour has it that BMW also originally wanted to stick with a single cam for the M50, but went over to 24 valves for marketing purposes to avoid being seen as technically inferior to Mercedes (and by then the Japanese were also getting into twin cam engines in their mainstream vehicles in a big way).
                My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

BMW made a 24v M20. Its called the M50.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

You aren't referring to the Schnitzer 4 valve M10 heads are you?
                    oh, yeah. probably am, now that you say it.

t
                    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

back from the dead...

It's always been my understanding that the release of the e30 m3 killed off the 24v m20 heads
                      Build Threads:
                      Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Originally posted by Julien View Post
                        back from the dead...

It's always been my understanding that the release of the e30 m3 killed off the 24v m20 heads
                        That seems like a reasonable conclusion, since the 2.5 with a 3.73 was already torquey enough to beat an M3 to 60 unless it had a 4.10 rear.
                        Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Originally posted by Julien View Post
                          back from the dead...

From Frank's discussions with Federico @ RD

"It is the same head that Johnson made, it was sold to Callaway in CT then it passed on to RD., by then BMW had their new engine, so project was dropped."

Not sure when RD got it/gave up on it

Reeves Callaway developed and marketed a 4-valve M20 head back in the E21 323 days
                          Discussions started - November of 1983.
                          Initial blueprints made spring of 84
                          Hans Hermann would perform the initial design.
                          Six months later,the initial design was finished.
                          On October 1, 1984,at 2:27 am, the first Quadros 2.3L prototype on the dyno at Callaway Turbosystems
                          By the end of 1984, the people at Callaway had customized a special intake design, coupled with the Hartge exhaust, and achieved 200 HP.
                          In car testing - winter of 1984

On looking for timelines I stumbled across this, lots of people talk about doing it but hadn't seen or heard on this one

3.0 Liter Stroker M20 with s50b32 Head

Published on Feb 25, 2014
                          M20b25 engine block with S50b32 (E36M3) cylinder head .. Protest Safe DMSB group H15 engine
                          Nearly 1,000 hours of working time for planning and implementation .. Over 2 years.
                          But for now I've got a unique engine ...
                          It was supported by a forged crankshaft with 86mm stroke and connecting rods H ...
                          Schmiekolben according to my specifications ..
                          dry sump pump ...
                          Freiprogramirbarem KMS controller ....
                          airbox ...
                          2Scheiben AP sintered metal clutch Nought Nothing was left out.
                          What can I say about the performance ....
                          SUFFICIENT .:-))))
                          Comments about this is, please save any M20 block and look closely!
                          Last edited by whodwho; 11-22-2015, 11:16 AM.
                          My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
                          4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

I'll like to add that during passed conversations Federico said that "250K for further development before 100% completion was needed".

That's a 100 of us at $2500 ea.

Perhaps value assessed from original expected sales figures.

In any event, the meltdown was real, from heads casting molds to valve covers and rigs for headers, everything.
                            RD's unequal passion and love for motoring can bring them back, all they need is a commitment from the community and maybe ...
                            a good 3d printer ;)

Mahalo.

Aloha.
                            Last edited by fporro; 11-22-2015, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by whodwho View Post
                              From Frank's discussions with Federico @ RD

"It is the same head that Johnson made, it was sold to Callaway in CT then it passed on to RD., by then BMW had their new engine, so project was dropped."

Not sure when RD got it/gave up on it

Reeves Callaway developed and marketed a 4-valve M20 head back in the E21 323 days
                              Discussions started - November of 1983.
                              Initial blueprints made spring of 84
                              Hans Hermann would perform the initial design.
                              Six months later,the initial design was finished.
                              On October 1, 1984,at 2:27 am, the first Quadros 2.3L prototype on the dyno at Callaway Turbosystems
                              By the end of 1984, the people at Callaway had customized a special intake design, coupled with the Hartge exhaust, and achieved 200 HP.
                              In car testing - winter of 1984

On looking for timelines I stumbled across this, lots of people talk about doing it but hadn't seen or heard on this one

3.0 Liter Stroker M20 with s50b32 Head

Published on Feb 25, 2014
                              iirc there is also a m54b30 head on an m20 block.

TBH i cant figure out why you would build a 3L m20 and put a 24V S50B32 head on it. it seems like a complicated and potentially unreliable way to achieve something that basically exists already. at least use a 75mm stroke if youre going to do it
                              89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

and oem dual valve pistons, instead of e36 units ?

Comment

Working...
                                X