Calling All Metal-Craftsmen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm looking for some one with a special set of skills in metal-craftsmanship. I figured with all the gear-heads and machinists we have on r3v, someone might be able to help.

I've been searching for a while for someone who can design custom grille badges and such. Been looking for someone who can make something along the lines of a BMW CCA grille badge in finish, coloring, and quality (not necessarily in shape or engraving).

The finished design I have in mind is comparable to a Western-European Familial Coat of Arms (however, it is not nearly as detailed)

Anyone know anyone?

Anyone?

Comment

Only place I have seen custom badges was from jewelers basically.. It won't be cheap.
      2011 JGC daily, 1985 944

Comment

The old ones are "cloisonné."

Just some googlefu ideas..

Car Emblems and Automotive Badges. Need that Antique Medallion or Decorative Insert? We can create a reproduction or restore your emblem. We Stock and restore enamel and plastic emblems.

Arnie Brown is a family owned reliable business making the highest quality custom made car badges and auto emblems since 1999, based in Frederick, Maryland, USA today.

Hard Enamel Badges Minimum order: 25 per design. (You can split one enamel badge order into multiple platings or colours. The minimum colour split is 10. The base design must not change.) Size: The average size of an enamel badge is 20mm, however you can have any size you like. Thickness: 1.5 -2mm Plating: See our blog post - Spotlight on Plating Attachment: Aspinline recommends a rubber clutch as our most secure, standard and free attachment. But there are lots to choose from. Colours: 8 colours included, maximum of 13 within one design (not including the plating). Pick enamel colours using this link - Solid Coated PANTONE Chart Extra enamel options available. Repeat Order Discount available. Supplying artwork: 5 Tips for Designing Enamel Pin Badges Cloisonné (Hard Enamel) vs Soft Enamel Mid Grit vs Non Mid Grit Please supply artwork in vector format wherever possible.  See our main artwork guidelines here.

Comment

LOL wanted to get my pops cloisonnés for his minty W124 Sportline.

But he returned "how old do you think I am?!"

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
          1983 Peugeot 505 STI
          1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
          2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

At this point I am open to any ideas. I know that because it is a one-off piece, it will be expensive, but I have two designs in mind: one for myself, and one that I plan on giving to my parents for their 25th anniversary.

Just wondering what kind of stuff is out there. Maybe I googled the wrong stuff because I couldn't find anything related to what I was looking for on google

Comment

One or the local OKC clubs (BMWMOFO) made some a while back. Here is the thread where they were selling them. I believe Jed was leading the buy. He is a good guy and I'm sure he would share the info on who made them.

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

This pic doesn't really do them justice. They came out really nice!

Comment

I'm curious what people think something is going to cost when they say *I know it's going to be expensive but* because I'm guessing you don't actually have any idea. There is little money in the actual badge itself all of the money is in the labor. If you can't think of how something like this is made in the first place then obviously it's a very specialized process that requires true skill and experience and you can expect it to be anywhere from $500-1,000.

Comment

Could go the cheap route and have one done on a 3D printer or water jetted
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Liquidity View Post
                    I'm curious what people think something is going to cost when they say *I know it's going to be expensive but* because I'm guessing you don't actually have any idea. There is little money in the actual badge itself all of the money is in the labor. If you can't think of how something like this is made in the first place then obviously it's a very specialized process that requires true skill and experience and you can expect it to be anywhere from $500-1,000.
                    I was once a mechanical engineering student for 3 semesters: I am very well versed in basic mechanics, modeling, and production. I never specified the actual badge as being the expensive part: a few pieces of 10-12g steel is literally pocket change. What I KNOW being expensive is the time it would take to take my sketches into Solidworks, create a 3D model, direct a toolpath, cut the emblem on a CNC machine, inject plastic inlets, grind them down, insert them into the badge: so on and so forth.

You see, when I started the thread I asked others because I knew that what I was asking for was possible being very aware in the skills and equipment it would take to create the badge; I just no longer have access to the tools needed to do it myself.

I can guarantee you with how specialized the process is, it will not be worth more than $100-200 for a single one off piece. I don't know where you are pulling your quote from

Originally posted by dannyyisntt View Post
                    Could go the cheap route and have one done on a 3D printer or water jetted
                    I was thinking about going this route, but I knew I would not be happy with how either of the finished products would turn out. Water jetting would work for the initial cuts, but for slots for laying of the plastic/glass inlets would require CNC machining

Originally posted by iflytii View Post
                    This pic doesn't really do them justice. They came out really nice!
                    Bob, If you could get in touch with him for his supplier, I'd really appreciate it!
                    The quality doesn't look half bad. Passes my test anyway :)

EDIT: Just PM'd him, thanks for the lead Bob :up:
                    Last edited by JinormusJ; 07-30-2014, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X