using cellphone on trip to europe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

using cellphone on trip to europe?

first time traveling to europe. How do I go about using my phone internationally?
    Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by ///M42 sport View Post
    first time traveling to europe. How do I go about using my phone internationally?
    I used viber my last trip to Germany.

Comment

Its free, but must be connected to WiFi.

Comment

thats awesome thanks

I guess other people have to have viber too then

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

I remember years ago when I last traveled out of the country I just had to call my phone company and let them know I was leaving so they activated my phone for international use. It was kinda expensive to use still, but maybe things have changed.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

For the love of all things holy make sure your data roaming option is set to OFF.
            1988 Atlantisblau Euro/Japanese 325i Cabriolet
            1989 Schwartz 325i - now M50 powered! - now very dead
            1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited
            My 17,000km Big NA National Parks trip!

Comment

Originally posted by Reichart12 View Post
              I remember years ago when I last traveled out of the country I just had to call my phone company and let them know I was leaving so they activated my phone for international use. It was kinda expensive to use still, but maybe things have changed.
              They offer packages now, but really not worth it. Either use viber like was already stated, or just get a prepaid while you're there!
              1988 Atlantisblau Euro/Japanese 325i Cabriolet
              1989 Schwartz 325i - now M50 powered! - now very dead
              1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited
              My 17,000km Big NA National Parks trip!

Comment

Then I've read that most wifi isnt free in europe?

what if I wanted to use gps

Comment

It was free everywhere I stayed the last two trips through Europe. Sometimes it's not in every room, but usually the lobby of most pensions have free wifi. Hell, even some of the longer trains had free wifi.

Turn your cel service provider off and run on wifi.
                  Originally posted by codyep3
                  I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
                  2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
                  1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
                  1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
                  2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
                  2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
                  2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
                  2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
                  2010 F650gs twin
                  2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

You can use google phone no. on a computer over wifi.
                    You can use skype from a computer or phone over wifi.
                    I used this last time:

The most straight forward is to have an unlocked GSM phone and buy a SIM when you get there at the airport. I had this too, so I wasn't prisoner to a WIFI all the time.
                    If you change countries, you might need to get a new SIM.
                    You can try this: http://www.onesimcard.com/international-sim-card/
                    but it might have lesser call quality (just a hunch)
                    BTW: McDonald's always has a free wifi.

Comment

Bring a cheap unlocked phone and buy SIM cards when you get there. In Germany I bought a SIM card with 100 mins of calling and 500 MB of data for 15 euros at a convienence store. Ask a local for the best deal on SIM cards, they vary in price and features. The most expensive place to buy them is train stations or airports. That easily lasted me the 17 days.
                      It may be more complicated with SIM cards if you are traveling around multiple countries in Europe due to roaming.
                      Free WiFi was not as widely available in Germany as it is here in Canada and US. I found a lot of the small cafes, bars and restaurants do not offer WiFi. If you are in smaller towns it is hard to find public places that offer WiFi (like train stations, museums, etc).

Whatever you do DO NOT bring your phone or SIM card from NA to Europe. Even if you have a Europe plan with your local provider. The messages for going over your limit tend not to work. Data overage for my provider was $10 per 1 MB in Germany.

Comment

Buy a cheap 15 buck prepaid phone there. Incoming calls are free, outgoing are what you pay for. Estimate a decent amount if you want data. Hotels big ones WiFi is free, smaller Mom and Pop are usually pay type via T-Mobile.
                        https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by _JohnnyD_ View Post
                          Bring a cheap unlocked phone and buy SIM cards when you get there. In Germany I bought a SIM card with 100 mins of calling and 500 MB of data for 15 euros at a convienence store. Ask a local for the best deal on SIM cards, they vary in price and features. The most expensive place to buy them is train stations or airports. That easily lasted me the 17 days.
                          It may be more complicated with SIM cards if you are traveling around multiple countries in Europe due to roaming.
                          Free WiFi was not as widely available in Germany as it is here in Canada and US. I found a lot of the small cafes, bars and restaurants do not offer WiFi. If you are in smaller towns it is hard to find public places that offer WiFi (like train stations, museums, etc).

Whatever you do DO NOT bring your phone or SIM card from NA to Europe. Even if you have a Europe plan with your local provider. The messages for going over your limit tend not to work. Data overage for my provider was $10 per 1 MB in Germany.
                          ^this
                          I had an unlocked iphone 4 so i just bought a simcard out there with a decent data plan. didnt really have a need to call anyone but gps and internet came in very handy. i just bought a new sim card in every different country i visited.
                          my build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=309778

Comment

do you use an unlocked GSM phone? If so, i believe you can just buy a sim card there and pop it in.
                            Instagram
                            sigpic
                            Current: 99 M3
                            Past: 84 325e, 84 528e

Comment

Working...
                            X