A "what if" engine swap: your opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A "what if" engine swap: your opinions

If you had some cash and you had the time, what would your "realistic" ideal engine swap be?
    Don't forget the good things Hitler did.

S50, with turbo.

Comment

4.6 or 4.8L all-allumium V8. just short of M5 power.

it fits! it's been done a few times before.

it's just plain tight

Comment

...not a complete swap, you said "some" cash so I'll be realistic and say a nicely done high comp. 2.7i with the works. Sorry but anything more than 6 cyls with more than ~220hp is gonna be too much for me...call me "different"..I am being honest. I love my susp. so much all I want is a little more oomph,susp works and braking power and I am good to go.

Comment

old school 6 cyl m5 motor or big six (3.5)
          for me i would almost rather have that then an m50/s50, you cant beat the torque ot a big 6
          its the old school german tuner way, take the biggest engine and stuff it in the lightest chasis.

Comment

S38 turbo or NA Euro S52 :)

Comment

Originally posted by e9nine
              ...Sorry but anything more than 6 cyls with more than ~220hp is gonna be too much for me...call me "different"..I am being honest.
              i know what you're saying. I definately understand this.

Realistically, a V8 is for sheer power and show and cool points.

If i wanted to build a really nice, strong and balanced chassis, go for a Z3 2.8 OBD-I conversion. It's made out of aluminium and really light. Put in some M3 cams and make slightly north of 220 or 225hp.

(I want to get a non-vanos M50 in my car hopefully, but maybe i'm just dreaming)

Comment

Hmm, "realistic".

A 2.8 aluminum block from a Z3, with a knife edged 3.2 crank, .50 oversized pistons, M3 cams and an OBDI conversion mated to a Dbilas multi-throttle setup. Lightweight flywheel of course, and a carbon fibre driveshaft for shits & giggles.

Less realistic, a Hayabusa motor stroked out to 2.0 litres. ~230 hp in a 120 pound package.

-Charlie
                Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
                '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
                FYYFF

Comment

I'm with Charlie, that sounds about right 8)
                  -Ted

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie
                    Hmm, "realistic".

A 2.8 aluminum block from a Z3, with a knife edged 3.2 crank, .50 oversized pistons, M3 cams and an OBDI conversion mated to a Dbilas multi-throttle setup. Lightweight flywheel of course, and a carbon fibre driveshaft for shits & giggles.

Less realistic, a Hayabusa motor stroked out to 2.0 litres. ~230 hp in a 120 pound package.

-Charlie
                    I like this idea, but I would rather say with the 2.8 crank -- rod ratios suck at 3.2 ;)

Comment

Built to the hilt 2.5 s14 - as anti-purist as it may be.

Comment

I would go for a straight S50 swap. I love the way the S50 looks in the E30's engine bay, like it was meant to be there.

Comment

E28 535is with M60 4.0 V8.

Fred

'86 325 2.8i stroker - Arctic Blue
                          '11 328i Sports Wagon - LeMans Blue
                          Strictly Eta

Comment

Since I plan on doing mine either this winter or coming spring. It's going to be a M50 or M52 just due to cost reasons alone. Adequate HP/TQ numbers and lighter car will equal more smiles per the mile.

I just have to finish gathering all the gear related to swap befor starting. On that note what ever happened to Eric Lukas? He's never around. Or is he permantly banned due to Cop stories?
                            https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

S38 or Euro M88 E28 M5 engine
                              85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

Working...
                              X