85 euro 520i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

85 euro 520i

Since this is just a bigger and slower e30 and this is the only forum I still use I might as well post a build tread about my new project.

It's a 1985 e28 with the baby 2.0 m20 engine, and it's an automatic. Pretty excited about owning an automatic, never owned an auto before except a 2000 Ford Ranger.

Bought the car just over the border in Holland for 1200, a real steal since the average price for a non rusty e28 here is around 4,5 k USD. Dutch people really love e28's and e23's they are just all over the place, plus there is more choice. Germany would have been even better but that usually means 10+hours to pick it up and my German is horrible..

Previous owner was a super nice guy who used to own an e30 to but just didn't have the time to fix the idle issue and a couple of other minor issues. And since he didn't have enough space the car had to go, his wife was so upset with the car leaving that she refused to come out to meet me even after countless assurances that I would send them pictures and keep them up to date.

Pictures are not great, just have my faithful Iphone 4. The borbets did not come with the car, still had those lying around. After I get the paperwork sorted I will replace the timing-belt and waterpump, replace all the coolant lines and do a valve adjustment. After that the rear suspension rebuild (already have a subframe axle with new bushings waiting) and replace other items if necessary. Goal is to have a nice cruiser ready by spring 2017 and maybe a trip to the ring and trough the Alps.

Plan on doing some small restoration work this winter, the car is in pretty good shape. Most of the work will be cosmetic and rear suspension rebuild. Needs some paint touchups and some lowering springs. Already replaced the TPS since I suspect this was the reason for a rough idle

Ps if you really want a true eurocar, leave the tow hitch on. It's the ultimate euro part
    Last edited by bostonvert; 11-23-2016, 01:52 PM.
    Instagram : makeitsnap

1985 e28 520i

Gorgeous car! I love me some e28.

Comment

Nice 5er! Borbets work surprisingly well with the E28 shape IMO...

Oh, and welcome to the M20B20 Auto club!
      Sounds like it should be well suited to your plans for the car - classic cruiser

...which really is all this engine/trans combo is good for

Comment

Originally posted by NufnSus View Post
        Nice 5er! Borbets work surprisingly well with the E28 shape IMO...

Oh, and welcome to the M20B20 Auto club!
        Sounds like it should be well suited to your plans for the car - classic cruiser

...which really is all this engine/trans combo is good for
        Thanks, I actually bought the borbets because I wanted an e34 touring as daily but ended up buying a volvo v70 classic..One of my all time favorite wheels!

Had the same car with manual before and really wanted an m30 but in Belgium engine swaps are illegal so I let those plans go..Just needs some bilsteins with lowering springs and a good polish.

1985 e28 520i

Comment

Finally pulled the tow hitch of, was a real pain!

1985 e28 520i

Comment

Bought a load of stuff including ;

Waterpump
            Thermostat
            Timing belt
            Brake hoses
            Pads and disc
            and all the coolant hoses and some other small stuff

Went to customs for paperwork, next step is get insurance and go to inspection and get plates!

1985 e28 520i

Comment

Originally posted by bostonvert View Post
              It's a 1985 e28 with the baby 2.0 m20 engine, and it's an automatic. Pretty excited about owning an automatic, never owned an auto before except a 2000 Ford Ranger.
              I don't think I've ever read those words before. You can make the m20b20 into an m20b28 easily enough, if you ever find yourself needing some more horses.
              AWD > RWD

Comment

Like the color. Very nice project.
                Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                  I don't think I've ever read those words before. You can make the m20b20 into an m20b28 easily enough, if you ever find yourself needing some more horses.
                  Rare eurospec car haha, well I just bought it as a summer cruiser so the engine will stay stock. Will get an e30 later this year when I want more power.

1985 e28 520i

Comment

Nice looking car, man do North American bumpers suck.
                    Could you 5 spd swap it, or does it have to stay original?

Comment

Originally posted by tak7 View Post
                      Nice looking car, man do North American bumpers suck.
                      Could you 5 spd swap it, or does it have to stay original?
                      I have a manual transmission laying around but why bother? its a nice cruiser and automatic cars are not very common in Belgium

1985 e28 520i

Comment

Working...
                      X