No announcement yet.

Oil pressure too high?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you changed the oil filter mount lately? If the nipple in the middle isn't perfectly perpendicular to the gasket mating surface then this could happen.

This is a picture of the old remote oil filter mount I used on my S52 race car. Most oil filter cans are rated to ~200-300 PSI, the gasket blows out way before that.

This is a trans-dapt mount I bought from Summit Racing. I was FURIOUS!

My Ecu never logged oil pressure above 85 psi. Cold starting (~40 degrees ambient) using 10w60 Liqui Moly Racetech.

I've since switched to a Canton billet filter since 90% of my oiling system is already -10AN lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The best one-stop shopping for German car parts and lifestyle: http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_G View Post
      I have a question about the pressure relief valve, though: where is it? People have been talking about the little $10 gasket thing in the oil filter mount, but I've also seen something that sits inside the oil pan, which makes more sense -- i.e. it makes more sense to dump oil into the pan than into the engine bay and onto the ground. Unfortunately, if it is inside the oil pan, that's going to mean major work. This is an iX, so separate the ball joints, pull both front axles, and lower the front subframe before even getting to the oil pan. :-(
      Yeah its in the pan next to the oil pump....

My understanding is there is also a relief in the filter so that when the oil is cold and thick if the pressure reaches a certain valve then the filter lets unfiltered oil into the engine rather than starve the engine for oil as the paper can only flow so much. It’s not to relieve pressure but to stop starvation? Ive never cut one open properly to inspect how it would work.
      The filter is not just a piece of paper in a cylinder so that’s why I would always use OE especially since they are still cheap
      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

I've cut a few open,
        but I was looking for engine chunks,
        not bypass valves. But I don't
        recall seeing anything but a normal backflow
        valve in there...

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

All oil filter assembly has a by-pass valve.

All cars are fitted with a bunch of different filters to keep the air and fluids that the car needs run nice and clean. The car you drive, at a minimum will be fitted with an oil filter, an air fi...

Comment

Originally posted by dnguyen1963 View Post
            All oil filter assembly has a by-pass valve.

http://www.micksgarage.com/blog/how-...s-oil-filters/

Not all.
            Most oil filters labeled "for race use" do not have any sort of bypass valve. Only an anti-drainback valve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            The best one-stop shopping for German car parts and lifestyle: http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

Ah, I'll look at it when I cut the current filter,
              but you might be right-
              the paper filter element's held in place by a spring, and IF it's set up as a bypass,
              the element will be shoved BACK into the housing by excessive differential pressure,
              bypassing the element.

Nonetheless, this isn't your problem. High differential pressure would blow out the element before the seal.
              The engine pressure bypass might be, as it controls the absolute oil pressure going through the filter housing.

t
              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
              X